source for power-cut torches ...

anyone suggest a reasonable torch, which is rechargeable from mains, and which comes on when power is cut ? I'm sure I used to see them around, but googling just turns up very expensive varieties ...

Reply to
Jethro

CostCo normally have largish twin tube flourescent lantern available, in the region of around =A320 to =A330 IIRC.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

LED torch, Ever-ready lithiums, keep it somewhere you can find it in the dark. Simpler. Shelf life in decades.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

In message , Jethro writes

Energizer Emergency torch. Can be had for around 14 quid and that's only the first page of hits from Google. Lights up when power fails and comes with wall bracket.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

The posters name reminds me of a DVD I have just copied called Jethro, too old to grow up. :-) The South Western comedian.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

But still with batteries that may or may not have any life left in 'em. I have a shaker torch next to the bed. No not a plain angular wooden torch but one you shake to charge a capacitor and thence power an LED. Not the brightest of devices but more than enough to avoid stubbing your toe or falling over something in the pitch black. Almost guaranteed to work.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Primary lithiums. They're good for 10 years

Reply to
Andy Dingley

True enough but will you be able to remember how much use they have had in that ten years? Is there 95%, 50% or 5% left?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Or use a non-maintained emergency light?

Reply to
Mark

Looking it up it sems that it has a LED locator which lights up if the power fails, rather than the torch itself

Reply to
chris French

You keep your emergency torches separate and don't use them.

When you've used them (or after maybe 5 years), you replace their batteries and put the old ones into the general use pool for other torches.

Adjust total number of torches in the system until it all works out.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

But where do I get a non-maintained light? I've acquired any number of maintained ones from fire exit signs, but a non-maintained is a bit harder. (...and obviously I'm not going to _buy_ one!)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Wind-up torch. Five quid from Netto-equivalents.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

now that's the way I'd design it :>)

tho I expect after seeing it hanging on a wall for X years you;d remember where it was anyway - then break your leg falling over the feckin dog trying to reach it.

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

I assumed the OP would be prepared to buy one ;-)

Maybe you can convert a maintained one?

Reply to
Mark

No use, they have rechargeable cells in them.

Reply to
dennis

Terminology:

Maintained = Always on, mains power available or not.

Non-maintained = Off until power fails then they come on. Though some do have provision to be switched manually.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice