Source for bits to construct climbing frame

I'm going to be constructing a child's climbing frame/tower/swing but can't find a supplier of components at reasonable prices. The systems I see advertised are scary prices! I can buy round timber pressure treated poles (100 mm dia) and galv bolts locally but not the rest. Typical items I need are ring bolts for fixing swing ropes, swing seat, fireman's pole - what do they use for that? Also I notice some of the swing framing you see are joined at the apex using tubular brackets where each pole (two diagonal uprights and one horizontal) slot into to create a firm joint. Like the ones used in this model

the scramble nets seem to be very expensive - I haven't found one yet less than £60 or so - seems a bit much.

I'm getting earache to get this done so any pointers much appreciated.

Thanks, Neil

Reply to
Ex-tiscali

Suggestions: marine chandlers for rope and corrosion resistant metalwork; scaffolding suppliers; "kee clamp".

For scramble net you might be best "knitting" one yourself from rope.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Why not use something you can get hold of, such as scaffolding

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Why not use something you can get hold of, such as scaffolding

Yes I agree it would be much simpler. However my task (which I have accepted) is to build one of wood like the kind you see in the parks. :) Now all I have to do is find the stuff to complete it - I had thought it would be easier to source.

Reply to
Old Caledonia

Scrambling net: make your own? heat shrink tubing to fasten loose ends? Eye Bolts: Google for galvanised eye bolts. marine chandlers (also stock thimbles to make neat eyes on your ropework and I think I've seen shrink sleeves in bright colours for your net) and wholesale ironmongers will stock them Steelwork: Google again on "key clamps" readily available for 3/4" to 2" id tube. AFAIK you will not find fittings to make "domestic" quality swings. Key clamps can used to make a swing frame that will hold two adults and when not used as a swing it will hold a 2.5l transit diesel engine (ok I did lash on a bit of 4*4 to stop the top tube bending)

PeterK

Reply to
PeterK

PeterK, thanks for all of that. I did think of making my own scrambling net but thought better of it as I'm not sure what knots to use so that they don't slip. I'd expect it could be very dangerous if the knots slipped and a kid got caught in it! The steel tubing/key clamps would be fine but as I've mentioned I have already committed (promised) to do it in timber.

Reply to
Ex-tiscali

Could you find some different parks? :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

================================== Focus do a range of quite strong metal fixings / brackets designed for heavy duty outdoor construction such as bowers, pergolas etc. Unfortunately they're all rectangular sections so you would have to source timber to match. The also sell workbench hinges which might be strong enough for your top section.

I would suggest that you reinforce some or all of the wooden sections with angle iron to prevent sudden and dangerous failure.

Screwfix seem to be the best all round supplier of coach bolts etc.

Google shows plenty of sources for camouflage nets which may fill you netting needs.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero