Soundproofing advice needed

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a company in the South East that can sounproof a ceiling. I live in a ground-floor flat and have constant noise problems. Thanks. Please don't reply to my e-mail, but instead reply in Google Groups.

Reply to
Man-of-Kent

What kind of noise problem?

The traffic outside or the people upstairs playing loud "music" or having wild sex?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

In message , Man-of-Kent writes

I don't think that that is entirely possible :)

Reply to
NoSpamThanks

Actually you can....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

In message , Andy Hall writes

But Google then propagate out into Usenet as a whole so...

Reply to
NoSpamThanks

Well... Yes.. I thought perhaps the OP was imagining that Google Groups was some kind of forum rather than a front end and backend to Usenet.

A new internet user, as I've seen in other groups, often finds his way to Google first, because access is virtually "out of the box". Usenet is rather more hidden, so unless access is through one of these portals people don't find it immediately, or in some cases ever. (which may be a good thing)

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Well, if he's trying to soundproof the ceiling, it's probably not due to (surface) vehicle traffic.

The basic idea is to provide an air gap, possibly with sound absorbing material in it, followed by a barrier. This should not be well connected to the ceiling, but a seperate structure that's attatched in such a manner so that it's structurally sound, but has the ability to move a little up and down.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Cheers Ian

Reply to
Man-of-Kent

Have a look at

they have a list of local suppliers on their site... we used

we used maxiboard for party wall (can be used for ceilings too) and acoustilay on floor. Haven't moved into room yet to comment on how well it works, but it comes with a government standard measure on how much the sound is reduced. Much cheaper to install yourself if you're up to it (£30/m2 compared to £130/m2 to have it installed.

regards Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

I recently did some work on a converted 1st floor flat. When we had to remove part of the ceiling we found that a falce ceiling had been put up with joists running in between the existing upper floor joists. So that and body walking upstairs is not walking on your ceiling..if you know what I mean. This arrangement works very well. This means that the upper floor joists are not connected with your ceiling, added to this insulation was draped over my ceiling joists then with plaster/board and skim finish..

Reply to
john