Sound system for old village hall

You can buy a mic for a few quid these days that out performs even the best version of the Reslo ribbon.

But they are nice as props for a period video.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

Actually if you can see the cone or put a very thin bit of wire or something similar thru the grill when you connect a battery say 1.5 odd volts the cone will displace in one direction if its directly connected.

If theres a transformer in there then unless thats an autotransformer there will be no DC connection to the speaker cone so it won't move either one way or the other....

Reply to
tony sayer

Yes right!...

Most of them long gone now....

Odd tho I never remembered Vortexion or Grampian as making PA systems good tape machines and mics ...

Reply to
tony sayer

via a 4 ohm resistor, or you'll likely kill it.

NT

Reply to
NT

if its an odds & ends setup in a village hall, I'd assume nothing about the knowledge of whoever wired it up.

If theyre low R speakers, its not hard to convert the setup to 100v line if needed, or vice versa.

Reply to
NT

Some cheap 100V line systems did use autotransformers. Some of them were even tapped to sort of control the volume at a particular speaker. And even with a proper transformer, you'll hear a click as you connect/ disconect the DC voltage due to the change of current inducing a voltage in the secondary winding.

If you're in a mining area, it may even be "surplus" 25 volt line as used down t'pit. Very unikely, though.

The best way to check is, as has been suggested, to put an ohmmeter across each speaker. Anything below 30ohms will be a plain speaker, anything over a hundred will be 100 Volt line. A click as you make the connection is good, as it's proof that the speakers do actually work, and survived the party that blew the amp up.

Reply to
John Williamson

Grampian made quite a lot of PA and guitar amps and their valve stuff is sought-after; =A393 and 11 bids for this one:

were also known for their 42" long-throw horns; the tooling is now owned by Microminiatures and 30" horns are still available.
Grampian bakelite speaker case here

Owain

In message , tony sayer writes

Vortexion was one.

My favourite was CTH, who I believe may have been in Huntingdon

still have some of the MA100 amps shown here, they have transformers on the mic' inputs and are totally bomb proof as far as RF goes, no interference to them from PMR, so great in our applications. Bought the first ones in about 1975

Reply to
Bill

You might well still get a click even via a transformer as the field collapses.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Vortexion certainly made PA amps as did Grampian. Don't think either made speakers - although they might well have sold ones with their name on them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They were also known for their 42" long-throw horns; the tooling is now

their most seen product.

Owain

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If the speakers are wired with more or less bell wire of any significant length it's unlikely that they would have ever worked properly. Wiring of low-impedance speakers requires really heavy 'cable' of the order of 4 sq mm and is still limited to a few yards for satisfactory working.

Open up the speaker cabinets, partly to clean out fluff, cobwebs and dead mice, and to check whether there's a small transformer to convert from 100 (or perhaps 70) volt line to the correct impedance for the drive unit, typically 4, 8 or 16 ohm.

Transformers are available (I think 70 volt was only ever used by Tandy, BICBW) to fit at the amplifier (if it doesn't have a 100 volt output already), and at the individual speaker(s).

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Cobblers.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

it will, but not for long...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
[snip]

In a previous life I worked at Vortexion. The PA amps and mixers were the bread and butter of the firm. Export mainly, especially the 'little' portable with a 12v input and built in vibrator invertor. Happy days.

-- Jim White Wimbledon London England I will not hide behind the fifth amendment

Reply to
Jim White

indeed. The resistance of copper is such that long runs can be done with bellwire. There is some resulting power loss, but not a great deal.

I gather 70v line was popular in the US, but not here.

NT

Reply to
NT

It all depends on what sort of power in involved.

that would explain why someone thought it was a "tandy special".

Reply to
charles

Did you know Les Hill who later worked for Thames TV?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hmm. It depends on the impedance of the speaker. But 4mm is overkill for most anyway. You must have been reading the Russ Andrews site. ;-)

Peter Walker gave the formulae in Quad handbooks. From memory:-

'The loop resistance of the cable should not exceed 20% of the nominal speaker impedance'.

For most domestic runs, 2.5mm is more than adequate.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

of course

only Tandy sold 70v line gear over here afaik

NT

Reply to
NT