Sound proofing 1st floor

Hi,

Was thinking about this, for bathrooms/wc, but...

If I understood everything correctly

lay a mat of sort of dense rockwoolly type stuff on existing floorboards, then put sheet flooring on top as floating/unfixed to be held in place by skirting, then put bathroom floortiles on top.

Ok that raises b/room floor by about 3 cms. (?)

this means quite a difference between b/room floor and hallway floor.

OK then I'll do the same in the hallway & bedrooms on that side of the house. problem solved.

That is until one reaches the stairs. then the top stair will have a completely different lift compared to the other treads, so quite likely to trip up the unsuspecting...

At this point I sort of give up as following this through to the logical end point means laying soundproofing mat & flooring sheeting on each stair tread (to keep heights the same), then into the downstairs hallway, then into all the other rooms downstairs.

So - Either where's the flaw in my logic? Or any better ideas about soundproofing ??

(p.s. idea started because downstairs you can hear the tinkling in the wc upstairs)

blue

G lift up existing floorboards (remove contents if you want to do it well) as best you can put on either SDQ (sound deadening quilt) or better still a more modern product (cant remember the name but will try to look it up and send on when I have a moment) based on the rubbery type membrane developed for aircraft fuselages but marketed as a sound deaening layer. Re lay floor boards 3 mm higher and plane down one at threshold

if you like put on layer on top of boards as well with thin ply and have a door opening outwards (if poss) and small slope just outside or inwards on the inside of the wall of bathroom and slope it over the thicknes of bathroom wall chris

Reply to
Chris George

The best way IMO is to add more plasterboard to the ceiling below. An extra layer of 12.5 mm and sealing any air gaps will get rid of tinkling.

Reply to
FKruger

Pee down the side of the bowl.

Reply to