SOT: Car battery conundrum

I found:

as referenced by:

If you don't have enough bed time reading! :-)

Reply to
Fredxxx

The Calcium ones have very different charge/discharge characteristics. GM and Ford had real problems with battery life when they were introduced. If you replace a standard antimony car battery with a calcium one, you are likely to have starting problems as the alternator volts need to be increased. Calcium batteries also suffer more from polarisation AIUI. Standard battery chargers do not cope well with Calcium batteries, so you need a charger with a calcium setting.

Reply to
Capitol

I had a Halfords 'calcium' in the old Rover for a few years. No idea if it was 'calcium' or just some advertising ploy. But they sold them along with other types as alternatives. The 'calcium' one was more expensive and had a longer warranty. Can't say I noticed any difference.

It's possible it was rarely fully charged. But that's no different from an ordinary type used for short journeys.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, really odd. After all, in these days of economy no-one could possibly be interested in knowing when to change gear for best engine efficiency.

(though I suspect it's really because they made sense in early sports cars, and the glamour has worn onto the meter)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I've never seen relative efficiency markings on a car rev meter. Would they be some use?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Adrian