Sorting out problem Velux

Damp in a first floor ceiling at my mum's appears to be entering from beside a Velux in the loft conversion above.

Some of the (clay) tiles around the window butt right up against it, and I suspect moss and debris have built up on the flashing below so that water is spilling off the side of the lead and finding a way through the felt below.

Should there be an inch or so clear passage between the window and the tiles bordering it?

If so, I assume that the tiles around the Velux will have to be removed and cut to leave this channel. Does this sound right? Not a job I could undertake. Could it be done from inside, or is it going to be a major scaffold job? Anyone have any suggestions for a suitable roofer? (Sevenoaks, Kent)

Thanks

Peter

Reply to
peter meakins

On the velux I installed I had to leave a one inch gap on the top and two sides that border the concrete tiles.

I installed the window from inside - I doubt that the remedial work required to fix this water leak will require scaffolding. The window will lift out so that you or your tradesman can gain access to the frame and tiles by standing on a step ladder.

Reply to
DIY