Sorry!

I have no idea why my posts are appearing twice - sorry.

My PC is being a tart.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You're in good company. I see it many times every day from different posters. I wonder whether some sort of anti-virus program update is screwing things up a a rogue server somewhere is duplicating messages?

In other words, no idea. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Three times and counting!

Reply to
newshound

Vigin/blueyonder/telewaste's news server is the common factor :-(

Reply to
Andy Burns

Give Virgin a couple more days to put things right (they always do....eventually). Just don't ring them if you value your sanity

Reply to
stuart noble

Not necessarily. I've had problems with it, using AIOE.

Reply to
Adrian

Maybe MHM could try an Eternal September news account. I'm with Ntl/virgin as an ISP but use ES for news and don't seem to get the multiple post problem (yet!)

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I'm with Eternal September but I think it's a server+software issue for me. I use Windows Mail and it checks for new mail every few minutes *and* tries posting/sending whatever is in my outbox at the same time. Eternal September quite often returns a "not sent" message for Usenet posts even though they

*were* sent. Then it does it again 5 minutes later, and again and again until Eternal send the "sent OK" message (or I notice and delete them from outbox). Same if I try to post them manually, I get the "error, message not sent" so keep trying and then find out it's been sent several times.

It's worse in the early evening, presumably Eternal gets a bit overloaded and returns dodgy status messages.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

The usual reason is that the message coming back from the server saying received ok is not getting through. Certainly anti virus and firewall software has been known to cause this problem. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

is it inserting incorrect apostrophes as well?

Reply to
tim......

In article , The Medway Handyman writes

I notice the offending article appears thrice but the apology only appears once :-P

Such is life and thanks for noticing, many wouldn't/haven't.

Reply to
fred

I use Sea monkey ( successor to netscape browser) and it used to check for new news every 5 minutes or so irrespective of what I was doing at the time and was causing the machine to hang sometimes possibly because ES was busy. I have turned off the automatic update and instead it only gets new news when I'm reading news. Maybe your windoze mail could be persuaded to do something similar?

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Where?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Eternal September and Thunderbird here, no problems so far.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

after video

tim

Reply to
tim......

No Video in the OP. Think you must be mixing threads.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

it was a different thread

he was apologizing about a different thread, no-one starts a thread as an apology about the thread they are starting to post, do they, it would be stupid

tim

Reply to
tim......

Surely the only appropriate place to nitpick about a misplaced apostrophe is in the appropriate thread?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Oh good god

No because this post was "sorry for my other posts being repeatedly posted" because of a problem in his news reader

and I asked "Was that news reader problem also responsible for the inserting of spurious incorrect character" in his (other) posts

Except that I tried to do it in as few words as possible

tim

Reply to
tim......