Somewhat OT - Identifying switched live (on a scooter!)

Can anyone point me in the right direction - I'm installing heated grips. Currently they are wired into the battery and I would like to connect to a switched live.

I've used a multimeter but cannot find one! Anyone help me find one please?

It's an Aprilia Rally 50 (Air cooled)

Mark.

Reply to
Krycek

is a centre of scooting excellence

Reply to
Steve Walker

There should be one on the back of the switch, surely? Unless it uses a relay.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Krycek presented the following explanation :

I would very much doubt a 50cc engine would have the power output capability to run heated grips, what is their wattage?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Hmm, I'm unable to find that info! These are they:

Krycek

Krycek pretended :

draw around 3amps or 36 watts.

36w will probably more than your headlight draws, so I fancy these may quickly flatten your battery even with the engine running, unless you restrict their use not used when your lights are on.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Having replaced the battery (assuming the one that came with it was FUBAR'd), I fear you may be right.

Bugger!

Reply to
Krycek

A pair seem to use between 30W and 50W, if you google around. Yours have a boost start and a lower power sustain - so presumably once they're up to temperature you can expect it to be a lot less - perhaps 10W or 15W. That's rather more manageable - and if your battery is in good nick you'll probably get away with it if you switch to Lo soon enough.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Reply to
Krycek