Somewhat OT - Electric toaster slot size

Good idea..then I could insert the baked beans in the holes at the same time....

Goat cheese might hang on ok, too.

Reply to
Davey

Chris J Dixon

Reply to
Huge

I've known far too many toasters that struggle with slices off a boggo loaf. I always wonder if they're designed for some standard Euro bread size that we don't get here?

Have a 90s 4 slice toaster (2 long slots) that knocks about as an emergency backup and that makes a decent two slice job; there's no way in christendom you'd get 4 slices in without a fire.

The latest crap toaster, bought at great expense (R Hobbs maybe) has slots big enough for proper slices but you can't get them out again. They barely poke above the top surface and the "lifter" has a travel of about 10mm. Crumpets and the like still have to be retrieved with a knife.

Reply to
Scott M

Unlikely, as it was an EU regulation that meant we had to deregulate bread sizes in 2008.

Reply to
Nightjar

That sounds EU, a Deregulated Regulation. Or should that be a Regulated Deregulation?

Reply to
Davey

Are these related to the decomposing composers, perhaps?

Reply to
Tim Streater

My mum had one of those years ago, in the 1970s I would guess. I remember it on the wall, with a button near the bottom. I'm sure I saw them in friend's houses too. In my mind it went with those draughty louvred glass windows. I wonder where they went. Hey, hey, hey, here you go:

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

In article , Scott M writes

If it is a Russell Hobbs then you may yet find out about their worst feature. The power to the elements is turned off only by the raising of the carriage so anything that stops it rising (jammed toast or broken spring) means that you risk a kitchen fire when the toast goes up.

Not impressed.

Reply to
fred

I don't usually toast a pita, I just warm it up.

John

Reply to
A. N. Other

Reply to
Nightjar

In message , fred writes

Several toasters are like that.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Did the cage have an electrically insulated handle? Otherwise, that sounds a bit like poking a knife into a toaster to retrieve the toast.

Reply to
LumpHammer

+1.

And to contradict later posters, if set up correctly they only need one pass. Downside, I guess, might be how long they take to warm up.

Reply to
newshound

Rod Speed wrote

Which proves one thing. Worked it out yet? US bread is bigger than ours, which isn't a surprise.

You have a problem in understanding "doesn't fit" "wrong size" etc etc?

Really? Like to name one that available in the UK?

Is that yank for skip diving ?

Reply to
Sailor

stupid poppy up mechanism whereby the items being toasted are either too b ig to fit or too small to retrieve it simply used a wire cage which you lif ted into and out of the toaster.

No, but it was designed so that it could not touch the element.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

Our toaster (Dualit) will take it both ways (I'd never really paid attention but I just checked with a couple of different loaves.)

The only bread that does tend to stick out is some un sliced 'tin' loaves, which are sometimes relatively tall and narrow.

Are the OPs toasters cheapy ones?

Reply to
Chris French

In the end we found the cheapest "4" slice toaster (which just had 2

Is you grill even over the whole pan area. Ours isn't decidedly cool at the edges and hot in the middle. It's electric and the brian dead designers just evenly bend the element taking no account of how the elements illuminate the pan below them.

I did have a gas grill that was even, that made excellent toast in one hit with the entire grill pan covered with slices of bread.

They are probably the only excpetion to my previous statement. Trouble is in hotels people keep fiddling with the controls and of course everyone has different ideas of what shade of brown is "toast", anything from small beige crum spots to almost charcoal...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Sound like a Dualit, they can come with bread holders. Mechanical run back timer but still suffers the problem that second, third, etc batches need shorter times than the first.

Not cheap...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

to brink back the diy angle, make your own toaster, here is the guide. Be aware the video contains scenes of extreme diy:

misterroy