Somewhat OT - an economical van for a self-builder.

Curently I'm driving 120 miles a day to and from work, as well as needing a van for a self-build project - and I don't really want to run two vehicles.

At the moment I'm driving a VW Caravelle (with all the rear seats out, and a rubber-mat load-liner). This is a 2.4D, non-turbo - and returns an average 37 mpg.

It's a 1997, 130K, and I'm now being pretty heavily clobbered with maintenance costs too.

So I'm looking for a replacement van - most important qualities (in order) are high-reliability, fuel economy, reasonable maintenance costs.

I'd also say as-long-as-possible load space, and enclosed body (not a pick-up).

Budget - =A34000 (ish).

At the moment, I'm considering micro-vans (Suzuki Carry type, might struggle with the mileage), Mazda Bongo (not so great fuel economy, camper is a plus), Suzuki Jimny and trailer (trailer is a nuisance, but 4wd ruggedness is a plus) - or just one of the many midi-vans out there.

I'd also set quite a bit of importance by the local dealer's quality of service (North Norfolk) - loaner cars, on-time and on-price.

Suggestions?

Reply to
dom

May be bigger than you are looking at, but everyone I know who runs vans swears by the Ford Transit for reliability. They also have the advantage of having been around so long, there will be one available to suit just about any budget and requirement.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Only because he hasn't had the power steering fail on him _yet_

Reply to
Andy Dingley

RUN TWO VEHICLES

Have you seen the price of fuel? Get a tiny pod car, get a big nasty old van, or keep the one you have. Then ditch the 60 mile commute.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

No, the Jimny is a tin box on wheels 120 miles/day would be rather tiring. Not sure I'd put 4wd ruggedness and Jimny in the same sentance either.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Transits have power steering these days ?

Nick :)

Reply to
Nick Leverton

Mate of mine who's a brewer runs a transit for himself, berlingos for the lads. Plus a transit flat-bed for larger deliveries.

Reply to
newshound

In message , Andy Dingley writes

I'd absolutely agree with this. For years I've run a Defender (now a Disco auto because my clutch knee went) for towing and heavily loaded across fields work. We also downsized the separate car to a Skoda Octavia diesel estate for the local mileage and long trips. It does 60-ish mpg, sometimes 70, although it falls off if you do over 60mph for long. So it doesn't have to be a tiny pod car.

The insurance I've got down by playing the field, and careful choice of year keeps the tax not too bad.

I know it's not the same scenario, but it's not too different. The only snags are that SWMBO hates the Skoda because of the way it bounces, and I'm waiting for the DMF to go (feels like not long now) so I can get a proper flywheel fitted.

Reply to
Bill

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Dingley saying something like:

Split aluminium PS pipe is the favourite. Mine went a few months ago, but it was largely caused by Ford's failure to adequately fasten the pipe to the chassis, so it was vibrating up/down for thousands of miles.

60quid for a bit of bent tube - balls.
Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Everyone refers to a group, not to an individual. It includes three fleet operators as well as a number of single van operators. There is also no such thing as absolute reliability; only reliability as compared to other makes.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Ford Transit Connect?