some questions re garden shed

I have now dismantled the shed (10x6) in a couple of the corners the last couple of slats (shiplap joints) are rotted and need replacing,is it easy to remove them and replace. There are also a couple mid way up that need repacing. (about a 6 inch strip rotted) On another couple there are gaps where the wood has shrunk or been broken. how to seal this. I also have the option to reduce the shed to 8x4 which would eliminate some of the issues again this maybe easier as one corner of the floor (tongue & groove) has caught a bit of rot and this would take that out.

I just recently moved to this house and the shed was backed up against an inaccessable wall (gap) on 2 sides, hence the damage.

Any thoughts on any of this, mine is to reduce the size which would incur less repair work. I am not too bothered about the size as I intend to attach a covered section on to the shed for any DIY work I need to do.

Reply to
ss

If its proper ship lap rather than T&G, then its easy to replace boards, even in the middle of a run of them. You may find it harder to match the exact cosmetic profile, but that should not affect the function.

New board...

Depends on how far gone it is... the one that was in the garden when we moved in had a rotten roof, floor, and back corner. So I replaced the floor and roof, and was able to salvage enough boards from the good bits of those to replace the rotten corner. (it was handy they used the same T&G for everything).

Reply to
John Rumm

As John says it depends on the damage, but on the face of it srinking the shed sounds like way more work than replacing half a dozen boards.

NT

Reply to
NT

Boggle! If you have space for the larger size, I'd stick with it. Within six months there won't be enough space in it anyway.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

months there won't be enough space in it anyway.

You are probably correct but my previous house had a large double garage and then I had motorbikes and done a lot of work in it. Now once my DIY projects are done then I am hanging up my tools and it will only be for garden tool storage. I have spent the last 2 years clearing my old garage and the loft and then moved here, the kids aint interested in what I have so its mostly going. I am easing into retirement, time for the slippers.

Reply to
ss

Won't there be any maintenance jobs as time goes on?

I have spent the last 2 years

If you're easing into retirement, why are you bodging up an old shed? - the thing will be flat as a pancake in a few years time and then what?

If I were you I'd be looking at getting a new one, and preferably not a cheapo, or if you do get a cheapo, put it on a raised base

Reply to
Phil L

I too plan to hang up my tools once all the jobs are done. ... I'm not expecting that to happen this millenium :-)

That just means there's time to really get stuck into all the DIY jobs doesn't it?

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Nope when I moved in here just about every job needs doing so when its done thats it ....end of. Still got 2 bathrooms to do though

Reply to
ss

Once you've retired, wait till you do need a job doing and find out just how much they charge, how unreliable they are and what a rubbish job they do. I think I'll be diying when I'm 80.

NT

Reply to
NT