Some interesting engineering and flying;)..

All so as you can watch your new digital telly;!..

One instance where you'd better be sure the holes do line up;)..

tony sayer

Duncan Wood

I'm surprised the elf'nsafety mob allowed them to have that stonking great thing lowered by chopper on to that teeny tiny platform, with all those guys perched on it. Looked a bit too reminiscent of that that old pub game using skittles and a pendulum...

David

Reply to
Lobster

than the system it's replacing. Progress? Bah-humbug.

Steve.

Reply to
Steve

Oh its easy. You do a risk assessment that says 'this is bloody risky' and everyone is satisfied.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The phrase 'On balance, this is the safest of all possible options' reads better if something does go wrong.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Never mind the quality, feel the width!

It's only lower quality if you fill the available bandwidth full of loads of channels broadcasting mindless guff.....no, wait.....!

Reply to
Brian Morrison

It reminds me of a project I worked on. Elf and safety got at it first and created a detailed safety case several hundred pages long, each page having multiple dire warnings. So project development started and each move forward was accompanied with 17 moves back to account for each safety case item. This was a defence project, and it looked as if it wasn't going to be finished, ever, because the safety business was so onerous. Then a war broke out. Project finished in three months.

"Tear up that document and finish the bloody job."

Reply to
Steve Firth

excessive.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yes, but it still looks to me like a job where an occasional expenses claim for new underpants would be well justified.

Reply to
neverwas

Its doing many other sites and a lot quicker when theres only so much of the summer and fine weather;!...

And a bit safer too, they sometimes use a rigging jig for this job and a few have collapsed mainly in the USofA...

one at Mendip used a co-axial rotor;)..

tony sayer

But Super Pumas (and the talent to fly them) are available in the UK.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Bar skittles. Or extreme shove ha'penny.

Reply to
Lino expert

And not get your fingers caught between the bits...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

At the 'plate glass' University I went to we had 'Mangold Dangling' in Freshers' Week where one team would stand on one leg on upturned crates arranged in a circle around a maypole from which hung a bale of straw which the opposing team took a turn each in swinging. There was a 'ladder', made more interesting by the losing team having to buy the winning team a drink. Towards the end it was a matter of time, would the swinging party just let go of the bale without aiming or would the targets simply fall over anyway.

Reply to
Rupert Moss-Eccardt

And the same to you.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Duh - devil amongst the tailors

Reply to
geoff

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember tony sayer saying something like:

I notice somebody didn't trust the old spigot at all.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

for that! Amazing! Lots of guys fell off the ESB, and it's got lots of mw dishes at the top. What goes through them is a matter of popular demand. Don't blame the architects and engineers! [You can easily google lots of ESB history!]

-- Yrs, John.

Reply to
UncleEnglish