Solvent weld is solvent weld, right?

Can I use the pot of MK "egaweld" I have for electrical conduits to also weld the Marley waste pipe I've just bought? Or are they in fact different things?

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

Should be OK. Most of these things are uPVC. There is one breed of wastepipe that is something else but it has a different BS number.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I would have thought so. Easy enough to find out...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Wickes sell two types of waste pipe - push-fit and solvent-weld. Would one of these two be the exception to which you refer?

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

The stuff I recall was plastic but copper coloured called something like Bartol. It had a slightly slippery, soft feel surface and would not take solvent weld cement. It might have been push fit. I 'inherited' odd bits of it abandoned when I bought the house in the 80s.

upvc is a bit harder and you can't scratch it and make a mark with your fingernail

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

A bit of googling reveals the consecutive BS numbers that I recalled.

BS5254 now replaced by BS-EN1329-1 is the upvc solvent weldable stuff BS5255 now replaced by BS-EN1451-1 is the Polypropylene stuff which indeed is designed for push fit.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Not when it comes apart under my freshly tiled floor it isn't :-)

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

I think the label I looked at said ABS (typically, I then picked up a piece of pipe with half the label torn off). The solvent says PVC. I don't know enough to know whether they're close enough.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

Thanks for that - I'll check those numbers on the stuff I'm using in the morning. I need to do a bit of 'mix and match' and I've been working on the assumption that the solvent weld stuff can be used with push-fit / compression but not the other way round.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

At least with the 40mm stuff I've just been looking at, push-fit and solvent-weld cannot be used together. The OD of push-fit is near enough

40mm, while that of solvent-weld is 43. The solvent-weld won't even come close to fitting into a push-fit fitting, and the pushfit would be too loose in a solvent-weld one (not to mention not welding properly).

My understanding is that compression has enough give to work with either.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

Thanks for that. Everything is in push-fit for the time being but I would like to use solvent weld in a few places when the final positioning is done.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Pete Verdon wibbled:

I have a tub of Floplast solvent glue that may be used with either uPVC or ABS.

It's quite likely that the egaweld would work, but personally I'd get something that positively states ABS just to be sure.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

But you would know within minutes if it worked or not surely?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

ABS is a styrene, so I doubt it. There may be solvents that work on both ABS and PVC, but I wouldn't bet on it for the cost of a pot of the right stuff.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Err no, ABS usually.

Reply to
Steve Firth

A lot of the (cheaper) solvent weld fittings are ABS, and they are interchangeable with uPVC fittings. However, I always try to find PVC parts (sometimes, you'll find mixed stock in the same bin in the sheds). PVC certainly does solvent weld better.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I've just checked the two types from Wickes and allowing for some variation in numbers my checks confirm that there are two different sizes for different fittings thus:

Push-fit - 41mm - BS EN1451 B

Solvent weld - 43mm - BS EN1566 B - Mupvc

The difference in numbers suggests that there are different types of solvent-weld pipe and probably different types of solvent which need to be matched to their particular type.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

You're right - I've just checked. Actual marked sizes (Wickes) are 41mm and 43mm.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

True; ABS and PVC solvents are different. The last time I looked at the manufacturer's literature for the 'universal' solvent, it said it wasn't suitable for pressure applications. I'd buy the right stuff for the pipe system being used.

Reply to
onetap

snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wibbled:

Hi,

That doesn't seem to concur with this:

?pageid=1219151915&catid=282The former states that Floplast uPVC 110 systems should be jointed with SC125 or SC250 (I have this - it's the one Screwfix sells)

The second link states to use exactly the same solvents on ABS.

I was worried when this thread started as I'd been using SC250 on both ABS and uPVC - but the links state this is fine.

Perhaps there's something funky about SC250 but it smells remarkably similar to the conduit weld I have.

In both cases, there is not a chance in hell of any of the joints coming apart - I've tried on a test sample.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S