Solvent or Push Fit

Hi, Just about to plumb some waste pipe got all solvent joints and solvent but when I went to go and get the pipe I found have two types of pipe one for push fit and one solvent, however the solvent one seems alot more expensive that the other. However in a few stores Wilkinson's etc they have pipe that doesn't state if its push fit or solvent but is only a few pounds. Does the pipe I use have to be specific for solvent joints or can I use any. Thanks DD

Reply to
Derek Doormer

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 17:48:40 -0000, "Derek Doormer" strung together this:

The pipe sizes for waste vary slightly from manufacturer to manufacturer as well as between SW and push fit so I would use the same make as the fittings. There are some manufacturers that have compatible pipe sizes but from memory I can't remember who's.

Reply to
Lurch

Generally the SW pipe manufactured to BS 5455 (IIRC) is interchangeable but thee are slight variations between manuafacturers.

The push fit pipe is somewhat smaller (by a mm or two) and may also be made from a plastic that won't SW.

HTH

Reply to
Ed Sirett

It does have to be PVC or ABS. Push fit waste is sometimes polypropylene and apart from being the wrong size, will not weld (at least with the typical solvent used for the purpose).

Reply to
Andy Hall

Reply to
Derek Doormer

Given the choice, PVC works slightly better than ABS. Sheds mostly stock ABS (I presume it's cheaper). A plumbers merchant will have PVC (might be marked uPVC, or muPVC which is higher quality).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Derek

Just finished a bathroom project at my daughter's and used Screwfix joints with Wickes solvent weld pipe. Joints a tight fit dry but worked fine when put together with the solvent.

John Miller

Reply to
John Miller

I've had good results welding PP with a hot-air gun.

Admittedly this is useless for welding pipe in place, but it let me make up a nice low-profile washing-machine drain and U trap to go in a confined space up from bits.

You need to play for a while.

Reply to
Ian Stirling