Solvent free paint for woodwork

I wonder if anyone has any comments on oil based versus solvent free paints for woodwork please?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Hard to get a really good finish with water based if that is what you want. There is a good reason why we have used oil based paints for years. They work.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

not very robust, not nearly as glossy. There's always water based clear varnish on top of emulsion or acrylic. Beware that a lot of varnishes called clear aren't.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Depends where, outside in weather plastic inside hard wearing, rails doors etc. oil based

Reply to
F Murtz

Water based acrylic primer/undercoat is fine, but solvent based topcoat every time. IMO

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Some of us see the "not nearly as glossy" as an *advantage* of water-based. I always prefer a matt finish to gloss.

I know that others have different tastes.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Sure. It makes it harder to clean though.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Bob Minchin a écrit :

The new other half decided (with my full agreement) we are to redecorate the entire house. Many things, including paint has changed since I last got involved with decorating - and yes, most of the place was long overdue for doing.

I/we do like a satin/ matt look on woodwork, but she was talking in terms of using a satin emulsion for the woodwork - which I had never heard of being done before. She was keen to avoid yellowing and the satin water based for wood we ended up using, says it doesn't yellow, but seems not that much different to emulsion, so maybe she was right?

The living room is done with the above - we are just wondering whether to continue with it in the other rooms or look for better alternatives.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Agreed. I have now used two or three water-based floor varnishes which do not yellow and worked well. They do shift the colour of the underlying paint a little bit. (I quite fancied adding various dyes to the varnish to create their own extra effect - but really not sensible in a very ordinary house!) Earlier attempts ended up being a bit soft and even (at worst) slightly tacky even after years.

I like the orange-peel sort of effect from using a small roller for the varnish.

Reply to
polygonum

In message , Harry Bloomfield writes

We try not to use solvent paints inside the house. The fumes from then seem to cause migraines for my wife.

So we've tried a few waterbased finishes. A good gloss finish seems harder to get, but we prefer satin anyway. Products available have certainly improved over some things we tried in the old house about 15 years ago, which were pretty dire.

I most recently used Sikkens Rubol BL Satura which went on nicely and gave a decent finish. Seems to wearing ok. Only available in white though.

Chris French

+1 High gloss shows more of the perfections of the in the material being painted.
Reply to
alan_m

A hard wearing acrylic gloss is still the stuff of dreams I think. The primer/undercoat acrylics are excellent though

Reply to
Stuart Noble

+1 recently decorated a whole house with woodwork paint using Sikkens Rubol BL Satura, one joiner asked if the finished doors had been spray painted! Nearly two years on of light use and still looking good with no yellowing.

Paul R

Reply to
Paul R

Water is a solvent.