Solvent-based satinwood paints - which good ones are still available (tinted)? Help!!!

Hi,

Just returned empty-handed from B&Q and Homebase as it seems the Dulux mixed-to-your-own-colour range has been changed to have only water-based products now. As a long-time and very satisfied user of their Satinwood product (and the Permoglaze Satin Finish which was/is also very good) I'm not having that, especially if it's anything like their old water-based "Quick Drying Satinwood" which, apart from Dulux "Once", was The Worst Paint I Have Ever Used.

So, which of the "trade" paint suppliers still supply anything that's at all good? My requirements are - SATIN finish, Solvent based, Tinting machine colours available. The Permoglaze site is down so can't check that. Leyland and/or Johnstone still seem to do some, and are apparently working on new solvent-based versions that will be compliant with the new regulations - seems these particular regulations have slipped in with minimal publicity leaving possibly inferior products for us DIYers.

Are any of the "trade" counters DIYer-friendly nowadays? Last time I went to Brewers their ticket prices seemed unbelievably high, I'm guessing with a substantial discount for "trade" customers. I need to try my local "Cane Adam" and Johnstone's Leyland centres tomorrow - has anyone had any luck with these? I have been spoiled for a long time by working very near a small shop called Professional Traders in Sunbury, and got all my Permoglaze supplies there - very pleased with the service and they didn't discriminate particularly against DIY customers pricewise. Sadly BT decided they didn't want me to work there after September so I lost my handy walkable-at-lunchtime supplier. (It's a 72 mile round trip if I need to pop over there now.) Ho hum.

Any advice welcome!

Thanks, Simon.

Reply to
Simon Stroud

I am not trade and have had no problems getting small (even tester size) mixed at Johnstone/Leyland centre in Slough.[1] They do indeed still do a solvent-based satin.

[1] Friendly, helpful service both before and after producing my staff card - I work for the same group of companies but in an entirely separate area. No intentional bias.
Reply to
Rod

Satin is a superb finish. Can't understand why more people don't use it. I have satin doors and gloss frames. Looks great.

Reply to
John

Thanks Rod,

I'll give them a try if I can't find anything more local (the nearest one is in Newbury and I'm in Basingstoke so not TOO far).

Regards, Simon.

Reply to
Simon Stroud

If you are not already sorted try the Crown Decorator Centre, nearest to you seems to be at 2 Arkwright Road, Reading RG2.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Thanks everyone.

It turns out that Brewers still do "proper" Dulux Satinwood in the Dulux Trade range, so problem sorted.

Regards, Simon.

Reply to
Simon Stroud