Solid timber (oak) doors

I need to buy 4 new internal doors and we rather fancy solid oak doors.

I went to one local supplier, who showed me some very nice looking doors, but only admitted that they were veneered when I started asking about cutting them down to fit the odd-sized frames in our house.

I found some we like :

cost of 4 doors with casings and architrave is going to be =A31300.00 Although this is obviously a lot of money but I think it's probably good value if they really are solid oak. The local chap wanted around =A31000 just for veneered doors.

Does anybody know if I can do better anywhere else. Ideally I'd like to look before I buy but I don't know any local suppliers for solid timber doors. I live in Chorley (Lancs) but work in Warrington.

Also, more importantly, I will need to cut some of the doors down to size and since they only seem to make them 1981mm in height, I may need to take as much as 100mm (4 inches) of one of the doors. Does anyone think I might have problems with these particular doors if I have to do that ? I have no idea whether they are dowelled or M&T joints.

Some of the real wood veneered doors look very good, but I think I'm more likely to have problems cutting down a veneered door than a solid one. If you disagree, please let me know because I'm sure I can get them cheaper.

Thanks

Kevin.

Reply to
kdband

Google acorn doors. Also check pages in period homes and country life.

My cottage style internal doors were about 250 each, but the front doors =

were just the right side of 500 with frames and draughts seals.

Well worth it though.

get them made to measure. Costs no more.

Ive been that route. Got a mercahnt. He marks up 50% on a mass produced=20 cheap door. and only stocks certain sizes.

Go to a joiner, he makes them to size and marks up nothing.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I need to buy 4 new internal doors and we rather fancy solid oak doors.

I went to one local supplier, who showed me some very nice looking doors, but only admitted that they were veneered when I started asking about cutting them down to fit the odd-sized frames in our house.

I found some we like :

cost of 4 doors with casings and architrave is going to be £1300.00 Although this is obviously a lot of money but I think it's probably good value if they really are solid oak. The local chap wanted around £1000 just for veneered doors.

Does anybody know if I can do better anywhere else. Ideally I'd like to look before I buy but I don't know any local suppliers for solid timber doors. I live in Chorley (Lancs) but work in Warrington.

Also, more importantly, I will need to cut some of the doors down to size and since they only seem to make them 1981mm in height, I may need to take as much as 100mm (4 inches) of one of the doors. Does anyone think I might have problems with these particular doors if I have to do that ? I have no idea whether they are dowelled or M&T joints.

Some of the real wood veneered doors look very good, but I think I'm more likely to have problems cutting down a veneered door than a solid one. If you disagree, please let me know because I'm sure I can get them cheaper.

I think you will find that engineered doors are not actually solid. You need to check carefully before paying. Genuine solid oak doors are likely to cost rather moor.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

[...]

Coincidentally I am looking for some for an old mill conversion. The joiner we have been using for other things said he could not make them as cheap as these people

have an outlet at Radstock called Charltons World of Wood. I called them today and they said that Jewson and Travis Perkins also sell their products But I think the price you have been quoted looks about right. Bruce

Reply to
BruceB

That price is pretty fair for doors with linings and trim (inc vat?). You can probably find lower quotes on doors, but some suppliers then load the price on the linings instead.

I bought my solid oak doors from Atkins & Cripps

and at the time I bought them, they were having a half-price clear-out, so I ended up paying about =A365/door ex- vat (for 8) - though I had to make my own linings up as they had no stock. Very satisfied with their quality, though had to jump through a few hoops with their ordering system.

Trimming 100mm is a lot - you would be halving the bottom rail (on framed and boarded doors the bottom rail is usually half the thickness of the door, but typically 200mm high). Mine look like they'd take it, but some remedial work might be needed.

Some companies do doors as kits (can't remember who right now), so you can size the bits, then assemble the door. That may require gluing and cramping to get them perfectly straight though.

Reply to
RubberBiker

"Engineered oak construction" means an MDF core with oak finish, possibly a bit thicker than veneere - but certainly not solid oak.

The obvious answer here would be to make them yourself, or get a joiner to do it for you.

You can certainly trim them a reasonable amount. The advantage of the engineered construction is they are dimensionally stable, and far less likely to twist, warp, swell etc at the seasons change.

Reply to
John Rumm

I rang oak warehouse yesterday afternoon to find out their opinion on cutting 4 inches of the height of one of their doors.

It seems that 100% doesn't mean the same as solid oak. They are actually oak frame with oak veneer over it. They also had doubts that I would be able to take 4 inches off without compromising the integrity of the door.

Even more reluctant now to buy online without seeing the doors for myself. I'm going to have a look at what's available in the local builders/timber merchants and even in B&Q/Wickes etc. If I have to buy veneered doors, then I may as well try and get them for the best price. I might even go back to the original local supplier, I did measure the bottom rail on his doors and they were 9 inches, so I'm hopeful I might be able to take 1inch of top and 3 off bottom. Problem is I can't see how deep the 'real' rail is under the veneer.

Will also give my local joinery manufacturer a ring. I've had a few windows made by him which have been quite well made and at fair prices. Only problem is he's usually very busy and I'm not sure he'll be able to do them in time.

Reply to
kdband