Soldering to Chrome Water pipes

This is probably a dumb question, but I've never used chrome plated pipeing before, and I'll have 4 bits of exposed piping in the bathroom when I've finished... But to solder to it, I presume I can just rub the chrome off an end (steel wool) and solder into a (copper) capilliary fitting as usual? Or am I better off using a compression fitting? (It's going to be out of sight, so it doesn't really matter, but I'd like to use capiliary fittings if possible)

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

In article , R Taylor writes

I don't think the barbs in the speedfit that hold it on the pipe work with chrome or stainless, I'd use a compression fitting.

Reply to
fred

I use speedfit if it's out of sight and copper pushfit if the job is out of sight but visible, say in a cupboard.

RT

Reply to
R Taylor

Speedfit? My oig my! I don't think you can use Speedfit on chrome pipe.

Reply to
IMM

compression it is then.

tbf, I've never used chrome pipe and if I do I'll be minded not to use pushfit :-)

RT

Reply to
R Taylor

It's fine, as long as you sand the chrome off back to copper (lengthy process though, if you're making lots of joints).

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Pushfit fitting require a nice even surface to grip to. You do not sand the chrome off, you file it, and only for doing soldered fittings.

Reply to
IMM

When I say sand I mean remove the chrome by use of wet and dry paper. The same wet and dry paper that is used to prepare car body work for painting, which requires a somewhat smoother surface than a pushfit fitting I would imagine ;)

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Thats for the ... entertainement chaps! ;-)

I think I'll stick with compression fittings for these particular pipes. One pair is going up to a wall mounted towel rail radiator thing, into valves with compression fittings, the other pair up to a bar shower (also with compression fittings). The lower ends will be hidden below bath level.

Cheers,

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Hmm... Maybe I'll see how hard it is to scrape the chrome off then! I'll not be doing this until Thursday or Friday next week, so I'll let you know then!

Cheers,

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

IF you use compression becareful of pressure pulses pushing them off, soft copper olives don't work too well on chrome, hardened brass ones are a safer bet! We had a 28mm chromed copper line feeding an emergency shower let go when an elbow sliped off, checking the rest they had all moved from their original installed locations...

Reply to
Badger

Got to disagree. The stainless teeth if the speedfit fittings are less hard than the chrome plating. The result could well be that the teeth skid along the pipe and release it under pressure.

Chromed comression fittings is the way. You might be able to remove all the chrome if you use a hard abrasive like SiC. (Which you can get as straps for cleaning pipes). The you will be able to solder but the soldered fitting won't be chrome. at best you will be able to tin it with solder.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

You can ... but you'll regret it! :-) ... unless you get rid of the chrome, at least.

Haven't tried soldering to chrome: I think I'd want to get rid of the chrome for that too. Wire wool will take you all day, and the next and ... use sandpaper or suchlike.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Soldered chrome fittings are available. You file the chrome off the end of the fitting.

Reply to
IMM

Did you mean to say?: Chromed solder fittings are available. You file the chrome off the end of the pipe.

Reply to
Ed Sirett