Soldering silver

My wife has a bracelet, quite a chunky one, with what I suppose might be called a "keep chain". Anyway, the chain's broken and I'd like to try repairing it. Rather than just bend the links I want to solder them - how difficult is it to solder silver? I'm moderately competent at soldering electrical connections, if I remember my glasses. Do I need any special equipment? Or would I be better off looking for a silversmith?

Thanks

Edward

Reply to
teddysnips

You _can_ solder to silver using ordinary electronics solder - but it's not really the right way to do it. It won't be as strong as a 'proper' silver-soldered joint, and you may find that the soft, lead-based solder will mark light-coloured clothing...

You can 'diy'-it with silver-solder (use 'easy' grade - as it melts at a slightly lower temperature, but you stand a good chance of melting the links while you're doing the soldering and you'll need the right flux.

Unless you intend doing a lot of it in future I'd find a silversmith to do it for you.

HTH Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Sound advice, I'm sure. Just thought I'd check....

Thanks

Edward

Reply to
teddysnips

Be aware that the term "silver solder" now has two different meanings: In my younger days it was a high temperature solder melted by blowlamp and used for "brazing" brass items together. Nowadays the term is also applied to a lead-free solder used with a soldering iron for electronics, as at

the latter would suit your purpose and without marking clothes, I can't say.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran

Sound advice, I'm sure. Just thought I'd check....

Sound advice indeed. Even Spouse, who has a lot of experience with such things, wouldn't risk attempting to repair a fine chain on a loved object.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher