Soldering brass fittings

I have noticed that all the drain valves I have seen for sale are brass. Is it possible to solder these rather than using a compression fitting? If so, does solder-ring v. end-feed make any difference?

Reply to
Sadly

No.

Reply to
Grunff

Yes. Brass solders easily.

Solder rings are easier. End feed look better.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Remember to take out the "rubber" washer before you solder the thing on.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Clean up with steel wool and flux, just as you would copper.

Suggest you unscrew and remove the guts whilst soldering. At least, I do, as I rather suspect the rubber parts will not survive otherwise.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Brass fitting are easier IME experience to solder than copper as the heavier metalwork makes for a more even and consistent temperature when soldering.

Reply to
Ed Sirett