Solder pot

I have a lot of brass terminals (up to 100mm long) that have to be soldered to 3mm solid copper wire. I have a solder pot 30mm wide that has to be heated by a gas torch. I'd like to heat the pot with some kind of small element, but a stove element is rather large. Any ideas on what I could use instead? I don't think I can get a commercial solder pot around here. I need it by tomorrow!

Reply to
Matty F

Get the pot within the jaws of a antex pipemaster type thing?

or

Adrian C

Here are some of the terminals:

Matty F

resistance wire, with a layer of eg glass fibre both sides, and a low v psu. I forget what wattage is needed for a 3" pot, somewhere in the

40-100w region. I doubt you'd get that set up by tomrrow though, at that level of rush all I could suggest is to put some EML on a gas hob and sit the solder pot on it, and set it as low as it can go.

Solder pots are a serious danger if not totally stable, molten toxic metal can cause horrendous burns. I'm always wary of them unless theyre bolted down.

NT

Reply to
NT

Can't you just heat it from a 100-500w lamp and use a dimmer to control it?

Reply to
dennis

Hi, Try here

and you will get it by Tuesday. For that kind of work you might be able to use
is a nice wide chisel tip, was able to solder 4mm2 wire to 2" wide brass shim tape.

Reply to
James Salisbury

I'm in New Zealand and it's Monday afternnon already! I have a good large soldering iron that can tin the wire. I just want to tin the terminals. I have a solid electric element with a Simmerstat. Perhaps the solder pot can be attached to a block of copper surrounded by a conical shield that goes to the edge of the element.

Reply to
Matty F

New Zealand? ...Now you tell us !!!

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

In message , Usenet Nutter writes

Matty F

The "nz" was a bit of a clue.......................

Reply to
Bill

BTDT

Big soldering iron (stained glass, 100W or so), spare bit (copper rod) for it, 22mm copper pipe end cap and a spot of silver solder to join them. Place in iron stand, fill end cap with solder. Dip.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

New Zealand? ...Now you tell us !!!

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

If you read such parts of messages as a routine .I certainly don't.

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

If pushed for time, I would get a billet of solder and a coarse file.

Put the solder into a vice and a clean piece of paper underneath.

File the solder to make a pile of solder filings.

Mix the solder filings with flux.

Thoroughly clean the terminals (finishing with IPA or acetone to get rid of grease)

'Paint' the terminals with the solder filings/flux.

Use a blowtorch to melt the solder.

HTH

Reply to
Dave Osborne

I'd crimp them. ;-) Better and faster. If you have the correct tool.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I turned up a steel pot on the lathe and put it on a solid element with a shield made from a large tin can:

works perfectly!

Reply to
Matty F

For the record, here is my solder pot sitting on the element. It's very stable, as it needs to be:

Matty F