solder gas pipe

I just done an oops! screwing a floorboard down (using existing nail holes) i heard water hissing so i switched off (heating system), drained it, removed screw and lifted board to find the screw had gone straight through a water pipe and into a 22mm gas pipe. I thought i could get away with putting a blob of solder over the hole in the gas pipe but my concern is quite obvious really. The hole is about 1.5mm so does the pipe need evacuating of gas first ? if so how would i do that ? The two main factors here are:-

1) i'm totally skint until my incapacity benefit goes in the bank so buying a repair piece is out of the question right now. 2) ive got a pizza in the fridge that i was hoping to have for tea tonight (gas oven)

TIA

Chris

Reply to
chris 159

The third main factor, which pre-empts the other two is correcting the problem safely.

Dropping in blobs of solder is a bodge.

The section of pipe should be cut out and replaced using a new section and two couplers. One can be a slip coupler if you like.

I really don't believe that you can't find about £3 for the fittings to do the job properly.

Reply to
Andy Hall

i guessed that with the hole being so small there would be no detrimental effect

If *you* had had surgery bodge your knees up which put you out of work then several months later the DWP say you're not entitled to benefits which means you have to live on a reduced rate of income support to the sum of £43 per week then *you* would know that its very difficult to find a few quid when you need it. Thankfully i won an appeal so i am now waiting to have my benefit reinstated

Chris

Reply to
chris 159

2) light gas leak from hole

Posiible outcomes

3) eat cooked pizza or 4) blow house up and claim higher rate of incapacity benefit
Reply to
Staffbull

Find a piece of 22mm,about an 1" long,cut it in half,slightly widen one half get the burrs off the cuts,clean the inner side and tin the piece with solder,clean the pipe thats damaged again tin this pipe with solder,clamp the piece over the pipe and solder. ;-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

And on incapacity benefit as well.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Well... it's up to you. If you bodge it with drops of solder, you are potentially risking your life, property and perhaps more importantly the lives of others.

I appreciate your position, but it isn't a reason to compromise safety.

Presumably, you would have to buy a blow torch, solder and flux anyway.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Doesn't matter.

This is not a reason to bodge the job unsafely.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Absolutely not.

This is not the proper way to effect the repair.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Nope. Got that lot already

Reply to
chris 159

Gas pipe no,but this is a water pipe

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

the 22mm is a gas pipe

Reply to
chris 159

Then a coupler is the only way.

How did you manage to go through a water pipe and into a gas pipe?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

No idea at all. There was an existing nail hole so i bunged a 40mm x6 screw in there. It must have gone in at an angle i suppose :-(

Reply to
chris 159

A perfectly acceptable job can be done by just buying a single 22mm coupler.

Cut the pipe exactly where the hole is Remove burrs Join with coupler

A coupler from a plumbers merchant - find a small independent PM and explain your predicament. They'll probably give it you or it'll cost less than 25p Some endfeed fittings are a bit pricey but couplers aren't.

Obviously make everything spotless and don't go overboard on the flux.

Reply to
VisionSet

Surely a coat of PVA would solve the problem?

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

Well if you're going to go down that road, may I suggest sellotape??

Reply to
The Grim Reaper

Hum. Not that I would, but I've seen two different CORGI's fix this type of accident that way.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

Drops of solder is probably not a good idea, but neatly applied solder onto nice clean fluxed copper isn't a bad way of fixing a small hole. Failing that, cut a patch out of a bit of scrap. It'd be no less secure than any soldered joint on a gas pipe.

I once a dart bounce out of the board onto a heating pipe at school. I nicked a self-tapper from a desk and screwed it in, then wound it round neatly with insulation tape (I was the sort who always had screwdrivers and tape and things in my pockets) and toddled off to tell the maintenance bod.

He blew his stack but didn't actually tell me what I should have done instead. I went back about ten years later for an open day - and the fix was still there!

Reply to
Guy King

If you are on your hands and knees screwing floorboards down then couldn't you just get a job and pay for a professional plumber?

Maybe you're from Liverpool, in which case can't you get your neighbour on incapacity to sort it out :)

Reply to
Matt