Solar/wind?

Are you sure you should have posted that in a thread like this?

You should have said something along the lines that you spent £3000 buying a bicycle and cut it up, keeping the pedals and chain, disposing of the scrap in the appropriate bin/bag, then got a mortgage to fund a generator, to go with the pedals, to sit in the back of your camper, pedaling for eighteen hours a day, to power the fridge, and having a warm green eco-friendly feeling, and it was worth every penny.

Reply to
EricP

Sorry, forgot the breathing mask and scrubber to wear whilst pedaling to absorb the CO2 you were breathing out.

Reply to
EricP

How very childish.>

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The same applies to the protagonists.

But why not everything else you pay for?

Mary Fisher

technology is a good sign.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Only "very"? It's no wonder he resides in my kill file. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

it seemed to be developing into an extremely useful resource.

However, it has since been developed (should that be "diverted"?) into a tourist attraction with a green theme. Nice organic food, lots of eco-friendly people, but far too dependent on the revenue from mass tourism (itself hardly a green activity) to make a real and lasting difference to society.

Reply to
Bruce

But you'll post an accusation that it's a disposal hazard without bothering to find out?

I obviously can't speak for all of them, but most are simply acetone.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Oh Mary!

I promise I will buy a windmill to make it up to you.

Reply to
EricP

Glad to hear it Bruce. It worries me when I am read by people who were at the back of the queue when God was handing out the humour.

Keep up the good KF.

(Oh sorry you won't read it)(Never mind) :))

Reply to
EricP

I wasn't impressed about 30 years ago, a few old radiators producing luke warm water, a compost heap and a hydralic ram summed it up.

Also many of the alternatives where effectively new build rather than retro fit. Until the likes of Barrat and Wimpy are forced to fit solar systems to their new housing and for those with more than a pocket handkerchief garden groudsource underfloor heating nothing much is going to change.

It rasies the profile of what can be done but these days most people aren't capable of changing a tap washer let alone designing and installing a solar heating system. They have money though and may be willing to part with that fopr someone to come and do it for them, the brighter ones want impartial advice on the variations that are out there. CAT may well be able to fullfill that need.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I went there shortly after it started. At the time they were deeply (in more ways than one) into pig manure. Unfortunately it was staffed by people high on ecocentricity (and I suspect interesting plants) and short on practical ability. They also didn't understand it rains in Wales. The combination of a hot wet summer and complete lack of practical ability (they held lots of meetings to reach consensus) meant you could navigate the last 10 miles by sense of smell and following the brown stream along the road.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Perhaps, but I see no shortage of hard numbers from them (us).

For many things the payback is a more complex package of benefits and returns. Ultimately though, if they return is not worth it, then why do it?

I don't expect a direct financial return from buying and running a car. However it allows me to do my job and I get pleasure from driving it.

I recall discussing it, I could not remember if you had said how much it had cost though.

I presume it would be a fair bit more if it were installed as well. IIRC us southerners with liquid chalk for water, also need to provide softening for it as well (not that does not in itself have financial paybacks - but it ups the capital costs a bit more)

You mean it has saved you more than £2000 already, or you mean that it was worth it for other reasons?

Well depends on how you look at it. If you want a heated pool, and solar makes good environmental and financial sense then you may as well take advantage of it. Not only that, saves petrol driving to a pool! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Less so these days. The Peltiers can't.

Even though a Peltier is generally thought of as inefficient, it's better (and much cheaper) than an electrically-heated gas fridge, so Peltiers are coming to dominate.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Neither wind nor solar make any real economic sense in a domestic situation in the UK..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

the cots of digging up all the concrete bases for the 100,000 windmills that will be needed to replace them, will nbe even greater when they find the bastards don't work..

Anyway, it costs about 6 billion to construct AND decommsion a 3GW sized nuclear reactor, so your number are a bit out.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Try a well insulated hot water tank.

It wont be any more of a demented solution than anything else.

Eco energy has taken over from double glazing as the Next Big Con.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The only form of 'solar' energy that actually makes sense...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, or at least something like 50% of it.

The 'sustainable' level is something like a person to every 10 acres of good arable land.

We blew that about 1700...

At a population of 6 million. We now have 60 million.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

DHW probably accounts for maybe 60 quid a year fuel costs. If the panels cost more than £600, they were a waste of money.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher