Solar Power in garage

I have a garage which needs rewiring for lights. The lights haven't worked in there for years. Now I assume under Part P I would either get someone in or do it myself and then get it certified. A third option is to put a solar power setup in there. Currently my local tesco is selling a solar power kit for sheds which need a 12V car battery to complete and get it working. My garage is south facing which is good for solar and the lights are rarely used even in winter so it won't need a vast amount of power anyway. I'm beginning to think it's a winner.

Any views? Anyone else done it?

Thanks

Reply to
John

Apparently less than 1% of diyers get the part p certification done. for solar, a car battery is the wrong type, you need a leisure battery. These survive the use paterns of solar lighting. Castoff car batts can be used, but expect much less life and be sure not to discharge it at all far.

You dont tell us the specs of the system you mention. whatever it is, white reflectors can be used to improve harvest in winter.

?title=Lead_acid_battery_constructionit may well be a runner in principle, if you dont mind the limitations of a small solar kit versus the flexibility of mains.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Ah well, we've lived without mains lighting in there since we moved in in 2002 so any lighting is better than stumbling around in the dark. So much else to do in the house that we've never got round to it...

Reply to
John

haven't

either get

complete and

> Interesting. Thanks. I obviously need to do a bit more research into it all.

limitations

Why not get a caravan type fluorescent light and old car battery, and accept the fact that you have to carry it down to the house occasionally to charge it. There are cheap small solar panels on fleabay that will give a trickle charge, enough to stop it dying, - I use one on my Fordson tractor to keep it useable over prolonged idle periods.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson