Solar Panels - verifying the numbers

Exactly.

The green position is 'all pollution Bad. So, no nuclear no fossil, =no people.

Cos the job cant be done with current levels of population AND totally renewable technology.

Energy s all about turning low entropy materials (coal, gas, oil, uranium) into high entropy waste (hot carbon dioxide, hot air, hot radioactive materials).

Its always been a source of mystery to me why a dirty radioactive planet will be 'saved' by using JUST the energy off a dirty radioactive sun...that is anything BUT renewable.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Worth less of what, exactly? Other money? The values we place on physical and non-physical artefacts are culturally determined, and we exchange these artefacts with yet another virtual non-physical cultural artefact ("money").

The economy is largely a giant hallucination with no real physical existence. After all, we are in some kind of credit crunch or recession, but it's not because we are suddenly short of energy or materials or skilled humans or food supplies or because we're all watching the footy rather than doing or making something. We're in a hallucinated recession because the hallucination tells us we are.

With 1W/m2 I could probably do some useful work. With £1 I have to pull a con trick on a suitably deluded passerby.

#Paul

Reply to
news10paul

Ice is a pretty good insulator. An iced up heat collector is no longer in contact with the nice, releatively warm, moving air from which to extract more heat.

True you but once frozen you have extracted that latent heat and you now have an insulating layer on your collector.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

So go back to a barter economy then and see how far you get.

Reply to
Tim Streater

less ability to buy goods & services.

... And yet money & the recession are no less real

NT

Reply to
NT

I've sometimes wondered why heat exchangers on refrigeration arent made partly from bimetal or designed asymmetrically so that they move slightly with each run cycle, helping to reduce ice build up to some degree.

NT

Reply to
NT

Which is why you need the scraper and/or de-icing boot.

Reply to
dennis

I'm not saying money isn't a handy concept to have. But that doesn't mean its value isn't entirely imaginary.

#Paul

Reply to
news10paul

when you get down to it, modern physics and philosophy could say that about everything else too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@moo.uklinux.net saying something like:

This one's rumbled it. Keelll heem, before he tells others and ruins it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The metropolitan, guardian reading, middle classes, especially. Throw in "celebritie" such as Carol Vordeman jumping on things like the anti- MMR bandwagon and you can see why we're in such a mess.

The Guardian does, however, carry the excellent Bad Science column.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I'm more worried by the apparently open ended cost of public sector final salary pensions. Anything else pales into (almost) insignificance.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Let's just burn money then, simples!

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Why did you snip "pumping heat into it in summer using the system as aircon"?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Media-fuelled ignorance doesn't help. Yesterday morning (I think it was) there was a piece about waste storage on the Today programme. Even they repeated the old canard about "some of this waste has a half-life of millions of years" without apparently understanding that this means that it's *less*, not *more*, radioactive.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Because I wasn't responding to that aspect of the matter.

Reply to
Tim Streater

What is the half life of the Universe?

well yes.

essntially if its hot enough to be dangerous, its worth reprocessing and burning.

That's as far as fuel rods go.

The more contentious issues are what to do with a mildly radioactive reactor housing that is full of strange isotopes of reinforced concrete, due to radiation absorption, that's probably pretty safe, but is not something you would want to live inside for the next 500 years.

really, if politics and paranoia didn't get in the way, you would simply fill them up with concrete cover with soil.. and leave them..for 500 years. A sort of modern Stonehenge to be puzzled over by archaeologists in 2500 years..but that doesn't satisfy the greenies, so no one has really come up with a solution.

If you cut them up, you have to them move them somewhere else, and do the same. Which in itself releases far more radiation than is needful. And introduces unnecessary risks in transportation and dismantling.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dump it in a deep ocean trench. It will then be subducted into the mantle.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Oh indeed, but the greenies wont have that either.

In short the green position on old nuclear reactors is

1/. You can't leave that there 2/. You can't put that anywhere else,. either. 3/. Nuclear energy is unlimitedly expesnsive because no one has yet come up with a decomissioning solution that satisfies 1/. and 2/. 4/. Ergo all nuclear power must be stopped, because of the 'waste problem'

All other lines of attack having failed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They've mostly never heard of the Oklo reactor in Gabon either:

Tim Streater