Solar Panels

It wouldn't be the first time. In the end I had to say it to my old mum too :-((

*She* took no notice (as was her wont) but then *I* started getting the "Hard Word" from social services.

All very sad.

Derek.

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Of course - it makes a lot of sense. Don't you? Do you go out on a cold day with no coat? Or perhaps you sit in your car in shit sleeves with the heater full on ...

They were both installed in January 2006. I don't think that's pretty ancient :-)

Not at all.

I think they couldn't be any lower but We don't want a condensing boiler for all sorts of reasons.

So you're wrong.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I don't use physical punishment, ever.

But my circulation isn't buggered either. I'm probably more active than the old mum was.

Today is warm, I've been gardening wearing shorts and a shirt and sandals. Yesterday was cold, I wore jeans, shirt, sweatshirt and sandals and I was indoors most of the time. There's a reason for the sandals which has nothing to do with temperature. In the winter I wear knee length sheepskin boots.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'm not sure about that because different weather patterns, geographical locations and the needs/desires of households are different.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

That's why you have to do it right. The data to support an accurate model, down to a narrow geographical location, is obtainable.

Nor are the needs of different households all that different - there are only so many ways to arrange a small number of people. The Jukes and the Kallikaks might be different, but all of those Jukes living on the same orientation in that same small town are going to have much the same needs.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

So you do feel the cold. I was in shorts and short sleeved shirt last week, this week I will have to get the AC out.

Reply to
dennis

I'm not convinced about that. Our use of all water and fuel is considered, others aren't so tight :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No, but in my job (plumbing and heating) I'm frequently in people's houses which would make Nordic saunas seem chilly :-)

Only when I've been clearing out sewers ;-)

(Reminds me of one of our teachers at tech who used to describe a loose fit between components as being "like a turd in a shirt sleeve")

OK, should be 80% SEDBUK on the boiler & reasonable re-heat time on the HW cylinder.

again :-)

Well it wouldn't make economic or ecological sense if your boiler's reasonably modern and efficient anyway, but go on ... I'm curious what your objections would be otherwise.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Where? I've scoured various meteorological websites for baseline data and all I can find is variations on the baseline - which presumably is so well known within the met industry nobody bothers to publish it.

I think it would be neat to be able to make a calculator - like a heat-loss calculator for boiler or radiator sizing - which people could use to run their own what-if calculations, e.g. what if I got cavity wall insulation/double glazed my windows/installed solar water heating/took X showers instead of baths/turned down my thermostat Y degrees ... etc. - and would show how much energy and money difference it would make over a year.

Reply to
John Stumbles

On Sat, 31 May 2008 12:46:29 GMT someone who may be John Stumbles wrote this:-

SAP allows people to do this, in theory. However, its results should always be taken with a pinch of salt as there is only so much a method can do to allow for humans.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Thu, 29 May 2008 21:35:34 +0100 someone who may be "Fredrick Skoog" wrote this:-

True, though one has to compare like with like. If an old radiator is being used as a flat panel then it is going to be rather less efficient than a well designed, low water volume, flat panel.

Vacuum tubes will still have an advantage over flat panels, especially in cloudy weather, but it is not as marked as some imply.

Random bird shit is a little more likely to hit the tubes than the gap, the gap typically being a little narrower than the tubes. However, the gap should be filled by reflectors so both types of panel should be a large unbroken area. A flat panel of equivalent output will be larger, so there is a larger target.

Or someone throwing stones. However, it is true that an individual tube can be replaced to deal with damage, as opposed to the whole panel or the whole panel cover.

In a DIY context the advantage is with vacuum tubes. The header, frame and tubes are all individual items which can be lifted onto a roof individually. Lifting a flat panel, especially one made from an old radiator, means lifting the whole thing, with size and weight to deal with. Not insurmountable problems, but ones to bear in mind.

Reply to
David Hansen