Solar panel offer

Don't the building regs now say that all new houses have to be "carbon neutral" (whatever that is)?

But I agree the money would be better spent on negawatts. (Not a typo).

Reply to
Huge

New build does have fairly high insulation requirements, hence the abilty to heat a normal house with -10C outside with a tiddly 10kW boiler... But there is an awful lot of "old stock", that leak heat like a seive, think of the 30's estates with double solid brick walls or older stone built places. You can insulate those either with 50mm of celotex/kingspan inside (loosing at 3" off the room dimensions) or outside cladding but niether are quick or cheap to do, hence there are no grants or aid to do it.

At least no grants or aid that I know of, if there is I'd really like to know as internal lining is what is about to happen to this 300 year old building.

I like that word.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Rubbish

Dave did not break a promise on the EU referendum because by the time that he was in a position to offer it, the thing that he promised there would be a referendum on was already unavoidable.

(You can argue that he cynically offered something that he knew that he would never have to do, but ISTM that the position on the issue was so clear that anybody who believed there would be a referendum after the event was a fool).

tim

tim

Reply to
tim....

I thought that, where possible, blowing fluff into a cavity was an excellent way of retro fitting insulation.

The problem is the huge number of properties for which this is imposssible/impractical.

tim

Reply to
tim....

They would have to otherwise the consumer wouldn't (sensibly) be able to use the electricity themselves.

tim

Reply to
tim....

No.

Only installations on domestic (and possibly very small business) property gets the money.

It's irrelevent who owns the installation.

tim

Reply to
tim....

No - it's a good way of insulating some cavities that were designed for it, but when retro-fitted carelessly it has a high risk of bridging cavities and causing damp problems.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Quite.

[ or even like a "sieve" :o) ]

Me too. That's why I used it. Not that I coined it;

Huge

All I know is that a surveyor that we know keeps saying don't do it. If I've understood correctly, his line is that whatever is pumped in will settle over the years, probably forming a potentially damp mass at the bottom of the cavity and reducing any airflow.

I've just been watching, from a distance so I may have guessed wrong, a bungalow down the road being re-roofed. They appeared to lay felt, then battens, then white sheets between the battens (polystyrene?) and then the roof tiles. I always thought that for things like this you would use something like Celotex a bit further away from the tiles. This looked a bit like my shed roof with a load of polystyrene panels tacked up underneath.

Reply to
Bill

Steve, I've always wondered.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Possibly, but that "cast iron guarantee" was intended to give the impression that a referendum would be held regardless of any changes that occurred prior to him being able to affect anything. He intended to give the impression that a referendum would still have been held even if the "treaty", or whatever it became, had been completed albeit it might then effectively be an "in/out" referendum.

The Liberals actually promised an "in/out" referendum so, given Dave,s "cast iron guarantee", it ought to have been possible for the coalition to agree on such a referendum.

Ah, Dave is on record as saying he will not offer an "in/out" referendum because it will result in the wrong answer (an out vote and he believes we should be in). Doesn't instill much confidence in Dave's abilities to influence opinion nor the strength of the arguments for remaining "in".

Reply to
Old Codger

For some actual case study info take a look at

cynic

No shit sherlock

Do you think that the rest of us are stupid and didn't know / can't work that out for themselves

Now, here's a question for you

which do you think is the bigger peak, especially in the winter when daylight is short

don't rush, take your time

Reply to
geoff

In message , geoff writes

I didn't mean that long ...

What happened Harry - did the sun go down and take your electricity supply with it?

Reply to
geoff

They finally got his meds down him..

Reply to