solar lights

I have searched and searched with no joy so I thought I would ask here and hope for the best. I am in need of some solar light kits, like the common garden lights but I dont need the poles etc that come with them. I brought some from the wholesale warehouse in the hope I could dismantle the electrical parts but no joy they are moulded into the head of the unit. If anyone knows where I could get hold of just the solar kits that would be good but if not a standard garden light that could be dismantled would do. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Dwayne & Angela

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 20:52:21 +0100, "Dwayne & Angela" mused:

Something like .?

Reply to
Lurch

.?

No I think those are just standard photocells that can turn things on and off when the light reaches a certain level. These are the kind of thing as said above dont need the lamp bits just the electrics solar panel, daylight sensor and led.

Dwayne & Angela

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 21:26:07 +0100, "Dwayne & Angela" mused:

.?

Daylight sensor = photocell.

Add your own power reserve (not batteries) and LED.

What do you want to do with the bits?

Reply to
Lurch

================================ Anything usewful here?:

Cicero

.?

They are for various garden ornaments I am designing. kind of art deco path lighting amongst other more usual stuff lighthouse's, boots, etc. I am planning a whole range of solar powered garden ornaments. Beside's any other conciderations the price of those photocells is way too high I could at a pinch butcher the solar lights I got from warehouse for £7+VAT for 4, but I was hoping to avoid that rather unprofessional approach.

Reply to
Dwayne & Angela

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 21:46:58 +0100, "Dwayne & Angela" mused:

.?

Unless you design the circuits, buy all the compoonents and assemble the units yourself I think you're going to struggle findind anywhere to better the price of buying the existing useless lights and butchering those.

Reply to
Lurch

In message , Dwayne & Angela writes

If you decide to scavenge existing lights for their panels and electronics, then don't go for the cheapest. Look for the ones that have the largest area of solar panel on top. The heap ones just have four thin strips while the better ones have more or thicker strips. The crystally blue cells are much better than the flat brown ones.

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

|!I have searched and searched with no joy so I thought I would ask here and |!hope for the best. |!I am in need of some solar light kits, like the common garden lights but I |!dont need the poles etc that come with them. I brought some from the |!wholesale warehouse in the hope I could dismantle the electrical parts but |!no joy they are moulded into the head of the unit. |!If anyone knows where I could get hold of just the solar kits that would be |!good but if not a standard garden light that could be dismantled would do.

I have been observing them for a year or so. IMO they are not bright enough light anything worthwhile. I would do some maths on what light you want to use with it, for how many hours, to give you the size of the battery. Then get a large solar panel, and an ambient light detector.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop