Solar heat trap considerations

In additon to my last post regarding loft conversions and CH etc we have a large area of south facing roof. Admitedly we will be adding a number of Velux style windows to this but I am considering some solar water heating as well whilst we have the option.

Are there any guidelines as to how long it takes for these systems to pay for themselves in saved heating costs?

I've seen stats on web pages selling the systems but you get the feeling that they are trying to sell the equipment so are going to give "best possible" scenarios.

If I'm having a new boiler and converting the loft what steps (cheap ones) can I take to make it easier to add solar water heating at a later date. Is it just a case of running extra pipes from the proposed location of the panels on the roof to the space where the boiler will be or would a different boiler/HW tank make sense too?

Chris

Reply to
ChrisJ

Get in touch with the National Energy Foundation

They`ll be able to give you advice on the ins and outs of solar and other renewables for the home and not having anything to sell will be bias free.

As regards your system, if you are considering a combi boiler make sure it will accept pre heated water. If fitting a normal boiler, fit a "solar " tank - generally bigger & taller to increase stratification and with two coils in it (one for the boiler one for the panels). Pipework from the panels runs to the tank rather than the boiler in this case.

Reply to
gribblechips