Solar - agaian(!)

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 18:17:08 +0000 (UTC) someone who may be "Graham Harrison" wrote this:-

Insulation is energy saving. It is nearly always cheaper to save energy than generate heat/electricity in a gadget. Energy efficient electrical appliances and turning off things when not needed are also good energy saving strategies.

Having sorted out the energy saving it is then time to look at ways of generating heat and light, to supplement what you have available. What you do in this respect depends on what you really want to do, for example save money or reduce emissions. Some of these gadgets will only save money over a long term, though they will reduce emissions far more quickly.

For house heating I would look at wood burning stoves (if you can get a suitable supply) and heat pumps. For water heating I would look at solar. For electricity I would look at wind (and hydro if the location is suitable). Generating electricity from waste heat using a Stirling engine is coming along nicely, but still a bit early in the cycle. Others will have their own list.

Reply to
David Hansen

Heat pumps? Not cost effective - yet.

mCHP is coming along well:

to alternative energies on the menu. Also:

Doctor Drivel

Yeah, lets make our houses even more dependent upon gas.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

But less of it overall, as less is used at power stations.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

So you're agreeing the capital cost of installing any form of solar heating will go up in the future?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You will have to learn to focus more, until the tablets come along.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Well, I'm not, because the cost of manufacturing is falling all the time; I can buy a DVD player from any supermarket for under £20. I can buy a 9-in-1 remote control from the 99p store (and it's still working

4 months later!!) I can fly return to Germany for £40, all inc. I can buy a Philips energy saving lightbulb for 99p - 5 years ago, they were £8.

So no, I don't agree.

Reply to
Jonathan

Fair enough - but you're quoting from a different thread! I'm not psychic, ya know!

Reply to
Jonathan

Oh I'm perfectly 'focused'. You, however, must have both eyes pointing in opposite directions given the way you contradict yourself.

Have you tried a de-tox? It's far too early in the day to be as drunk as you must be.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Many of these things will depend on just how much the price of energy goes up in the future.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Using the magnifying glass on the paper?

** snip senility **
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You print out newsgroups before reading them? Get your nurse to change your monitor to 640 x 480 for you. It might also help with your atrocious spelling.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

** senile drivel **

I hope the warden keeps him in check.