Soil pipe and guttering

Whilst in the middle of moving a bathroom from downstairs to upstairs I have hit a dilemma, the gutter runs down the at the corner of the house and the proposed new place for the soil pipe will run right next to it. The trap for the guttering is at the end of a run so I will take that out cut the pipe slightly shorter put in a t branch and then put the trap back in for the gutter.

  1. Is this the best way to do it.
  2. Is there an special fitting to take gutter water into the soil pipe.( if not why not) any help appreciated
Reply to
Jason

Some places don't like rain water and soiled water to mix in the sewers.

You don't tell us where the soil stack is being connected to for the main drain outflow, so we don't know what the hell you're on about with this trap thingy.

If you mean the rain water stack has an open gulley which it spills into, then you shouldn't have to touch this as part of your new soil stack installation. Your new soil stack should go nowhere near the open gulley part of the drainage system, and should connect below ground to an air vented grumbler buried beside the house.

A grumbler is an open U trap that has branches to connect the different soil stack points before going on to the main sewer system. If you don't have one already, then you will need to install one as part of the new system. You can not in some areas of the country connect the two different waste water systems together. This is mainly due to cross contamination of grey and soiled water having different run off points in the main drainage circuits.

Reply to
BigWallop

The trap thingy is a p trap i have had the manhole up and the run that the gutter water goes down has the old soil pipe going into it, by the way iam in north staffordshire.

Reply to
Jason

If both stacks are flowing to the same point on the main drainage system, then why not take the whole rain water away and replace the whole thing with larger diameter pipework for the new soiled system. No need to run them together at all then. The only part you need to save and branch to is the top vented section from the roof guttering.

Original stack is 75 mm pipework, so replace this with a 110 mm pipework system. Make sure this new stack is separately vented at the top around the guttering gulley. Branch to the top section of the new pipework with a 75 mm boss or preformed branch back on the guttering system.

A lot simpler than running two separate pipes down the wall.

Reply to
BigWallop

When I discussed this with Building control they said you are not allowed to do it. The exit from a soil stack has to be .9M above a the top of a window, so if your gutter is that high OK if not you risk the smell of the stack coming in the window.

Reply to
malcolmmccluskey

That's why I was asking how the original system is configured. If you can make life easier by replacing the pipework for a larger diameter, then go for it. Even if it means lifting a length of pipe up to the ridge on the roof for venting, then works out easier than digging and running two pipe stacks.

Anyway. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop