Soil pipe adapter question

I've looked back through Google, but although it seems like an obvious question, I can't seem to find the answer...
When fitting a new WC pan to a cast iron pipe and needing to use an adapter, do you cut the cast iron socket off or not? Or are there different sorts of adapters?
The pipe is normal 4" OD cast iron and the adapter I've been given is a Multikwik with rubber flanges. It _looks_ like it would go inside the cut pipe, but it would be a very tight fit...
Lee
--
Never summon Anything you can't banish.
-

The tighter the fit the better. Unless you want s*^t on your floor. Apply a liberal amount of washing up liquid around the flange rings and push.
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

BigWallop wrote:

Thanks ;)
And I'm making no comment on the image that the wording of that sentence conjures up...
Lee
--
Never summon Anything you can't banish.
-
To reply use lee.blaver and ntlworld com
Measure your required gap to cut in cast by placing fiting against cast and mark your points to cut. Wrao a sheet of paper around cast and draw to circular lines around cast. Then cut your two points out as carefully as possible. now comes the tricky part...to get your coupling into place..this will be a very testing time for you, as this will have to be seal tight to prevent leakages.PLEASE ENSURE YOU HAVE CORRECT GRADIANT ON ANY PIPE WORK THAT REQUIRES A FALL,SO DOUBLE CHECK ALL POSSIBILITIES BEFORE CUTTING CAST.All i can say is GOOD LUCK