soft wood conditioner

I need to stain a quite large quantity of soft wood items. It seems to stain very unevenly and no matter how carefully and often I apply the stain, it looks patchy. I've heard of soft wood conditioners that can help if applied before staining. Does anyone have any experience of any of these - or even better, know how I could make some up?

David

Reply to
david thorpe

Some softwoods have a greatly varying density & will always look patchy

- for these only a light staining is possible by sealing with clear varnish first followed by stained varnish.

Better quality softwoods can be bleached (peroxide), grain filler applied, and stained in the normal way.

I much prefer a cellulose sealed & waxed finish personally - although you can get coloured waxes.

Reply to
Phil

Softwood doesn't stain well. Condition the surface with a 1/2 cut wash of blonde shellac (factory pre-mix, diluted 50:50 with meths) and then use a glaze to colour it, not a stain.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Could you give me a little more detail on this please,as all this is new to me.

Cellulose sealed is what exactly? Any particular type of wax or any wax polish you like? This is ok for softwood with a varying density?

Thanks for your help.

David

Reply to
david thorpe

I'd skip all fancy suggestions and just use a coloured varnish.

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

You may find shellac sanding sealer easier to track down, and it does pretty much the same thing. That followed by Briwax P7 wax is used a lot in the antique trade. Both dry quickly (and stink to high heaven). A classier looking finish than polyurethane but not as durable, and not very water resistant.

-- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 3144 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try

for free now!

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I don't understand this reluctance to use polyurethane. I thin it down and apply 2-3 coats with sanding in between. Gives a nice gloss without that 'Jammy' effect some neat polyurethanes can give. Still get the hard wearing surface.

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann