Sodastream - minor success

After several months of less than satisfactory 'fizz' from our Gemini drinks maker and a few attempts at fixing it, I've finally worked out what was wrong. The central spike that injects CO2 into the water had come a little loose. Not enough to notice, but enough to let gas escape and preventing it from getting enough pressure to dissolve in the water. Tightened it up and it now fizzes and farts properly.

It's worth documenting!

Reply to
OG

Oooh Ta for that. Ours is a little low on the fizzing and farting production too...

Gosh. We had one of those in the early 1970's... Didn't know they still existed.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

We now buy the 2 litre bottles of ready fizzed filtered water from Tesco's for 17p.

If you take account of the fact that the water is already filtered and had the majority of chlorine removed I think this works out cheaper than the soda stream.

Reply to
Icky Thwacket

Reply to
shaheen

Is the environmental impact more though with the transportation of all those bottles and plastic?

Reply to
Mogga

Also the lack of fizz by the time you get to the end of the bottle.

Reply to
OG

I'm looking for one that hasn't the nasty artificial sweeteners (that need quick access to bog) in. Certainly the 2 litre for 17-p contain these. Is there a sodastream type concentrate that has no artificial sweeteners?

Reply to
<me9

snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote: SNIP

Ordinary Vimto is OK in a Sodastream.

Reply to
Martin Crossley

They have a good website. They are very quick on delivery for concentrate. Loads of flavours (I have around 7 of them) Gas is available round our way at Tesco's.

Also the carbonated water is great for making *THE* lightest batter for Yorky Puds and anything else that needs a light coating, like Tempura Prawns etc.

Boot fairs are the best place for old Gas bottles that makes it cheaper to have a few spares around (Got 4 of em for 50p)

I thought the fizzy water was just water

Tesco Value Sparkling Springwater 2 Litres is 17p Says nowt about having anything in it.

Tesco Value Still Water 2 Litre Bottle is also 17p Name Per Serving Per 100g Calcium 133.4mg 78.0mg Magnesium 50.0mg 18.0mg Potassium 1.0mg 1.0mg Sodium 13g 13g Chloride 26mg 26mg

Reply to
mogga

The point being that all you put in a sodastream is *water*. You can use *any* concentrate you like to add the flavour after gassing.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Ahhhh the sodastream was a fantastic toy. I never tired of putting the concentrate into the bottle before fizzing, then handing it to a relative to "fizz". Oh how I laughed every time when fizzy sticky crap came firing out of all possible exists on the sodastream container....

Them were the days...

Cheers dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

We got one of the very first Sodastreams free, because my dad worked for Kenwood. Quite a novelty down our way!

Anyone remember the much earlier Sparklets syphons?

Reply to
Bob Eager

"Bob Eager" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rikki.tavi.co.uk:

Hate to say I do.

Good for making champagne out of plonk :)

mike

Reply to
mike

I wasn't old enough to know that wheeze, but I certainly do recall them!

Reply to
clot

Bob Eager coughed up some electrons that declared:

Yes - weren't they the ornament of every classy (and would be) household in the 60's?

Reply to
Tim Southerwood

I just chucked mine away a few weeks ago. It started leaking badly.

Much earlier even than those were glass soda siphons which you exchanged for full ones at the 'chemists' or the off-licence.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Sadly, I have to admit that I recall those! Where's my zimmer? Who moved that! ;)

Reply to
clot