sockets "near" sinks

Kitchen fitter has mentioned that it may not be allowed to have an electrical socket anywhere where it could be reached while someone had their hand in the kitchen sink.

I guess it depends how long your arms are, but these seems to preclude providing sockets on some otherwise very usable bits of worktop!

e.g. was going to put the kettle in the corner between the sink and the wall, but can't see how to power it if this rule applies.

Is this at BCO's discretion?!

Cheers, David.

Reply to
David Robinson

There is no regulation that lays down a specific distance. It is down to the judgment of the person doing the installation and/or signing it off. However the normal 'rule' is 300mm and you will find this distance mentioned in various guidance such as the Electricians Guide to Building Regulations.

Regards Bruce

Reply to
BruceB

That is not AFAIK stated in the IEE regs in a specific manner (though other regs concerning suitability of fitting for the environment would come into play) - and I have scanned then for exactly this. There is no "zoning" for kitchens, unlike bathrooms.

Conventional wisdom suggests 300m or a foot away from the sink bowl is reasonable, to take it far enough away to avoid being splashed.

I don't think so. Is this kitchen fitter a Part P self certifying bloke? If no, it's not upto him anyway - refer to your electrician. If yes, then he's quite possibly been on a similar course to the one I did which was all of 4 days so doesn't really leave you with a deep understanding of the rules - though I would have thought he should have done the

2381/2 as well in order to get into the NIC/etc. The latter *should* have least meant he's actually read the regs. In a way it's good, if he lacks understanding, that he's erring on the side of caution - but it is unnecessary in this case.
Reply to
Tim Watts

I like to keep at least 300m away from the washing up as well... ;-)

Reply to
Dave Osborne

It would probably mean your neighbours do it for you ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Is it me, or does this not make a mockey of all the fuss about no sockets allowed in the bathroom?

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

Depends on how much time you spend naked wet and bare foot in your kitchen ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

There is no specific requirement in the 17th, except that any wiring accessory should be suitable for the location. The general guideline is 300mm from the sink or hob (trailing leads).

Main Equipotential Bonding needs to be correct incidentally, CW HW pipes bonded in the bathroom if not all circuits supplied by RCBO etc, no requirement to bond CW HW Kitchen sink - there is no bath or shower in most kitchens.

The only problem you MAY have with a sink & electrical devices is "loose nozzle spray taps" which some interpret as being a shower.

Reply to
js.b1

The theory is that it is unlikely that your whole body is wet - but yes, it is conceivable that you could put a wet hand on the plug with the other leaning on an earthy sink, but this should take more effort (or carelessness) than a bathroom. And people are stupid enough to try to use a hairdryer next to a bath (or worse, in it); also the expectancy of being dripping wet and grabbing for the hairdryer or leaning on the socket is much higher. This is where the 3m rule comes in - usually longer than most appliance flexes to prevent this.

Yes, some people will use extension leads, and Darwin will be standing in for St Peter on that day.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Does that include having a session with the wife using lots of custard?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

The analysis would go: is custard electrically conductive?

So, if going on a custard fuelled session, mind the sockets and best fit RCDs :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Mon, 24 May 2010 09:13:52 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be Martin Pentreath wrote this:-

Sockets are allowed in rooms containing a bath or shower, in certain circumstances.

Reply to
David Hansen

Does that only work if your Mrs is some kind of tart? ;-)

One also wonders why not lemon curd? Oh, no hang on that was Sherlock Holmes...

(Lemon entry my dear Watson!)

Reply to
John Rumm

The IET have not yet published a table, but I am looking forward to the "How many of them can you fit into a kitchen sink?" 2010 amendments to the 17th edition regulations.

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

With or without chains on?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Chains are table 2, leather is table 3, rubber is table 4.

Table xxx is the Dutchess of York.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Sounds nasty. Wonder if Domestos deals with that?

Reply to
Tim Watts

DomestOS? I not running that, nor TescOS.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Kills everything it touches like it says.

Unlike Windows, which kills everything it touches despite claiming the opposite!

Or Linux, which kills you...

sure what TescOS does? Your documents go a bit mouldy after 2 days, but it gives you an extra one free?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Here in Australia I have an ordinary light switch in the bathroom and a ordinary socket about 300mm from the basin. The whole installation is RCD protected though.

Reply to
Tony Bryer