Sockets/cables near steel support beam

Kitchen was extended a few years ago, and steel beams were used to support it (a rectangle of I-beams screwed together spanning along each wall, under the floorboards and in the ceiling (see top diagram here

The vertical beams were boxed in using plasterboard.

I am looking to hang a TV on the wall near one of the two vertical beams, and am hoping to:

1) use the space within the beam to run the cables from below the floor to the where the TV will be; and 2) fix the power/Ethernet/Coax sockets to the plasterboard boxing the beam. I would like to use flush fittings with drywall backboxes (see bottom diagram in link above).

I also checked that there is space for the cables to run along the beam and that there is enough room for 35mm backboxes.

Simple question is: is this allowed?

BTW: I do know that the electrician working on the extension used the opposite side of the beam in question to run electrical cables.

Reply to
JoeJoe

Don't see why not...

Reply to
Tim Watts

+1, subject to the usual rules about segregation / separation of power and data.
Reply to
newshound

If you are worried then perhaps if the metalwork was earth bonded then that should make it safer. I am not sure if that has to be done anyway. We had some workbenches at my last place of work which multipoint flexible leads a ttached and because of the metal under frames these all had to be earth bon ded.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Normal practice in, for instance, new hospitals and prisons.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I don't think there are any electrical issues. The main concern is maintaining fire protection to the structural steelwork. You're not in a tower block I assume.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

No, just a standard 2 floor house.

I will be making to holes in the plasterboard boxing the steel beam for the backboxes though.

Reply to
JoeJoe

You can put some intumescent stuff in or behind the back boxes if you're worried.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Thanks, I am not worried at all... Just wanted to check that I wasn't doing anything that was not allowed.

Reply to
JoeJoe

I think the point raised about ELV (signals) and LV (mains) in close proximity is a good one if we treat the void as "containment".

It is very easily solved though - run some self adhesive trunking or flexi conduit up to contain either the mains or the signal cabling. That will satisfy the IET regs.

Reply to
Tim Watts