Socket set choice advice.....[and Peugeot frustration]

Sorry, I thought they had cleaned up their act lately.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Is this deliberately comic? Halfords have an appalling reputation.

Bizarrely, there's an exception : their "Professional" range is actually pretty good.

Reply to
Clive George

3/4" drive is for the big stuff, not for everything. I found from experience you dont shift that kind of size using 1/2"

NT

Reply to
Tabby

I was never very keen on Halfords; they had a small shop in our town but it was driven out by a locally owned competitor!

They've now opened a 'superstore' in a (very) nearby retail park, but I've had no inclination to go in there.

Oh, and my (quite bright) niece was meant to work for Halfords during her Year in Industry at university. She transferred to B&Q after a short while; there was absolutely appalling sexism in Halfords (which others, including my wife, who is quite clued up on cars) has also noticed. B&Q has been pretty good (funnily enough, my wife had a job in one of the first B&Qs, but the pay was crap).

Reply to
Bob Eager

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher saying something like:

Super steel?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

If you ant to see serious sexism in action, go into most drapers or wool shops and try and buy cloth, needles, or knitting artefacts.

You will be completely ignored at best, at worst totally patronized.

If you wear trousers.

My wife OTOH got some seriously good treatment when buying bar steel stock to make gardening netting supports.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nope. Not that I recall.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not my experience. Not in a small chain of shops, common round here. And not in a couple of local ones, either.

Reply to
Bob Eager

6mm pretty rare on a car or on a bike, that sort of size a cheap 1/4 drive set is handy, limit to how tight a 6mm head will be before snapping. 8, 10, 12, 13 cars, 14 bikes, 17 ,19 all used a lot.

9,11,15,16,18 really rare to come across, apart from 9 as hammer on fit for rounded 10.

Britool make the finest torque wrenches but at a price, think Norbar is still about, bit more economical.

Set of combi spanners will do you well as well, Britool, Facom,Bahco, Beta , King Dick , Elora , Gedore , Draper Pro all worth looking on Ebay for if really won`t do Halfords, forget the Snap On hype.

Set of decent Torx insert bits for your socket set.

Decent screwdrivers, Wera and Wiha.

Any tool that fits into a fastener really is worth spending a bit on, saves an awful lot of swearing.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

That's a pretty darned strong 1/4" drive...

Can you get 1/4" hex sockets in > 13mm?

Reply to
Clive George

The clicky type can go wrong. I borred one for head bolts - got to the point of second grunt but fart seemed imminent. In view of the risk I stopped straining.

Reply to
PeterC

S.I.

Reply to
PeterC

Yes a local dealer lost a sale a few years ago for treating my wife like some idiot and insisted on talking to me only about it.

What he failed to realise was that she, not I was the customer and was paying for it!...

Another dealership took a very different approach and got the sale...

Reply to
tony sayer

32mm is rather larger than most 'car' socket sets go up to, and the others round about that size are likely to go unused. So get a standard one and just buy that sort of size when needed.

FWIW, I find a 3/8in drive set the most use around the car, so a good one of those plus 1/2in bits where needed would be the most economical way. Halfords Pro stuff is good, surprisingly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A breaker bar is more used for undoing tight stuff. Extending a T bar is likely to bend it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Up to you, but Halfords Pro tools are excellent quality and value - especially with a Halfords trade card. Also means you can pick them up as and when required.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've got lots of Halfords Pro range - pretty well the full range of metric combination spanners and several sockets, and have had zero problems with them. They are also a delight to use with a superb finish. And no need to throw any away as they have a lifetime warranty.

I'm sure Halfords sell junk too. But most would know to avoid that, unless a newbie.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

car:

Nothing on any car I've worked on needs 3/4 drive. That's for trucks.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This small set with the addition of a 3/4" breaker bar is worth having:

's worth browsing Machine Mart for any extras you need.

The torque for the rear hub nut (103 ft/lbs) isn't very high but it can be much tighter if 'ape man' has been there.

You're supposed to use new nuts as they're staked at one point into a 'V' groove on the end of the stub axle. The locking up you mention may be caused by a brake lining detaching from the shoe (failed bonding) which seems to occur occasionally with Peugeot shoes.

You might need to release the handbrake adjuster to remove the drum. Push a thin screwdriver through one of the wheel bolt holes until you find the adjuster and then push it inwards to release.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Muy bad. 1/2" of course. Sorry,. had a 'social' weekend.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher