Socket box problem?

Heres a little issue that is annoying I wonder if anyone can help.

I have just retiled the kitchen and have an issue with an old electrical socket. One of the screw holes in the sunk metal box is knackered. Normally I can replace the damaged threads with a piece from a new box. However this box is old and has non removable lugs. I cant replace the box without damaging the walls. Any ideas?

Thanks, Matthew

Reply to
Matthew

Depends how the thread is knackered, but you could try this:

Bob Eager

Another thing. If it's a really old box, the thread may be different. Are you using one old, and one new, screw?

Reply to
Bob Eager

I've taped a nut on the back of the lug before now

Reply to
Stuart Noble

restoring tool (tap) into the hole.

Reply to
John

Thanks Ive just phoned the electrical wholesaler and they sell 3.5 and 4mm hole restorers. I presume its 3.5mm?

Reply to
Matthew

If it's an old box, chances are that the threads will be 4BA - which is a similar diameter (about 3.6mm) to the newer 3.5mm screws, but with a different screw pitch. If you mangle the lug a bit (as suggested by another poster) you'll probably be able to tap a new 3.5mm thread in it, using a hole restorer.

The alternative is to use a slightly larger (provided it will go through the hole in the fitting) self-tapping screw.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Use a 4.0mm rethreader and a 4.0mm bolt if the threads are really knackered.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Drill out the remains of the thread and superglue a nut on the back.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Since they are all galvanized you could probably solder a brass nut on too, given a decent sized iron. Not actually tried it, but I have a similar application which I need to fix some time.

Reply to
Newshound

I think that if it's virtually impossible to replace the whole box, the best approach would be to attach a 3M5 nut to the back of the remaining lug using Araldite, holding the nut in place with a screw well-greased to stop it being 'Araldited' in place.

Alternatively consider Helicoils :-)

It really isn't all that difficult to replace an entire box if you score around it with a Fgnayrl knife, avoiding the cables; there should be a minimal amount of repair plastering to do.

Reply to
Frank Erskine