socket and light switch heights

Page 1 of 3
Hi again, another question:
My builder is telling me that building regs now states that socket and switch heights should be greater than 450mm and less than 1200mm from the finished floor level.
Is this true? the switches look so low!
Laurie
On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 08:32:54 +0100, "Laurie"

Yes.
http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/groups/odpm_buildreg/documents/page/odpm_breg_600517.pdf
has the details .andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
The reason is to make them easy to reach from a wheelchair.
-- snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com
From the chaotic regions of the Cryptosphere, The Natural Philosopher

The requirements aren't there for the owners of the house; they are designed to allow people in wheelchairs and the infirm to be more able to visit people in their own homes.
--
Hugo Nebula
"You know, I'd rather see this on TV,

I'm not quite sure what business a visitor would have with my sockets? And if I had a disabled guest, the light and socket positions would be the least of their problems - the guest bedroom is on the first floor, and the bathroom on a half landing.
--
*A fool and his money can throw one hell of a party.

And I bet your bathroom door is the incorrect size and you probably have a step to your front door not a slope.
Adam

The door would be ok - they're double - but yes, three steps and a threshold bar, then a step down.
--
*What hair colour do they put on the driver's license of a bald man? *

He has not got a new built house, are you suggesting that if you have a rewire you need to meet current building regs?
Adam

That's the bit I don't understand. Light switches maybe, but sockets? Are these visitors here to do house work or rearrange the stereo and TV?

Then this wouldn't be allowed either, probably. A friend of mine had a building notice knocked back when he wanted to combine the old kitchen/scullery/outside toilet into one large kitchen. Apparently, they won't allow him to remove the ground floor toilet, even if he has one upstairs. He now has a toilet cubicle in the corner of his kitchen.
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote:

Thats illegal too, without a double door between it and the kitchen.

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 14:29:12 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named The

They shouldn't have. See my earlier post as to the limitation of that particular requirement to new dwellings only.

No it's not.
--
Hugo Nebula
"You know, I'd rather see this on TV,

It never was required. It was however a common misreading of the regs.
--
Andrew Gabriel

I seem to remember the expression 'ventilated corridor' which to most would mean two doors with an extractor fan between them?
--
*I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore I am perfect*

In any case, they did tests and proved that the overwhelming majority of food poisoning cases was due to a failure to wash hands. Airborne particles just weren't a problem.
Hence the rule changes that you now don't need two doors, but emphatically DO need a hand washing facility *before* you encounter the kitchen sink.
Christian.

So it doesn't apply to old dwellings even if they have one already? I thought that old dwellings weren't forced to comply, but if they happened to comply already they couldn't be altered not to.
I think this is a field that seems to have more to do with the opinions of the local building control department than anything.
In any case, my house, which had an identical layout to my friend's had their downstairs toilet removed before I bought it, so I'm happy. (I'd actually quite like a downstairs toilet, but the large kitchen is more important and I'll get a second toilet in the loft conversion when its done).
Christian.
Hugo Nebula wrote:

stricrtly regulations comr into force whenever any 'material alterations' are done. This does include the above.
In practice, if the building inspector doesn't know, ts no big deal.
From the chaotic regions of the Cryptosphere, The Natural Philosopher

No it doesn't. The limits on application to Part M of Schedule 1 state "The requirements of this Part do not apply to - (a) a material alteration; (b) an extension to a dwelling, or any other extension which does not include a ground storey" (http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2000/20002531.htm)
--
Hugo Nebula
"You know, I'd rather see this on TV,
Hugo Nebula wrote:

I stand corrected.

The wider door only apply to the ground floor.

<snip>
LOL. I'd never heard about this and my immediate thought was yes, it's the PC brigade gone mad again; but then I thought - with regard to light switches at least, what's wrong with positioning them at 1m height? It's just that we're conditioned to light switches being at shoulder height, for no good reason that I can see (cue for somebody to post a good reason!). So why not?
David