Soakaways and sepctic tanks

There are certainly people who will clear tanks etc. Try the yellow pages.

There is a new barn conversion near me and I was curious about a round plastic looking lid about 4 foot in diameter with some electric cables going into the ground. I was told that there was a Klargester. See

Michael Chare

The LA and the EA. Both are stuffed full of jobsworths that could not otherwise find gainful employment.

Reply to
Clot

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And feckin brilliant they are too, if

- you properly tighten the pulley on the motor shaft so it doesn't fall off and end up at the tank bottom

- you don't allow frogs to nest in the outflow, and block it, thereby flooding and ruining the motor.

Those being the problems suffered here in 8 years of use :-)

Zero smell compared with trad shit tanks. Usually specced for a 'full house' of active crappers. If less only empty every few years.

Mine was about £7.5k installed. Outflow goes into a ditch. Permitted with a biodisc crap tank.

If you have electricity within reach,, and enough fall to make a surface outflow feasible (nice to keep it clear of silt and frogs) its a lifetime good investment.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

kingspan environmental these days it seems

JimK

Regulations change. Typically the changes are not retrospective, so whilst what you have may not meet current regulations you would likely not be forced to change. No harm in calling local Building Control. If necessary just do not say who you are or where you live.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Its the usual repair versus replace.

I was not allowed to re-use the septic tank on a rebuild - suited me actually - horrid thing.

But repairing an existing one is OK in most cases.

However, if you can afford a Klargester, do so.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher