So we'll have to buy industrial vacuum cleaners

The f****ng common market has decreed that we won't be allowed to buy vacs above 900W. That's ridiculous. Vacs need to be at least 2kW to do any good. Why have we given away our sovereignty to foreigners? We've filled the country with the world's riff-raff, who are now breeding like flies, and we allow Brussels to dictate every damn thing to us. Gad damn it.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Why can't the UK tell them to F off?

Reply to
Matty F

'cos Maggie is no longer with us - she wouldn't have stood for it like our current bunch of drips.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

----------------8><

Safely buried, thankfully.

Reply to
Apellation Controlee

It's perfectly attainable, they just mandate it and the member states fall in line and impliment it.

As the article points ,out silly things like facts about overall performance are not properly being addressed in the ratings scale. Any one with half a brain cell knows that a 900 W vac won't work as well, so the chances are it will have to be used for twice as long as a currently normal 1,800 W(*) one thus *not making any* energy savings at all. More half arsed bollocks from the Greenies.

(*) Well that's what the article says, seems a bit high to me. Our DC04 is 1100 W and the Earlex Wet 'n Dry about the same.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Much like the water saving toilets that have to be flushed 2 or 3 times, thereby using *more* water than a standard one.

Reply to
Huge

Yes but thick carpets? Very slow.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

... until you move house, or want to vacuum out the car, or a shed or ...

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

I use an upright for that. Nothing like 2 kW.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The two we have are both > 10 years old. Both are working well and I see no need to replace either.

Aye, the Earlex has had a good work out today, about 3 hours non stop, filtering the air in the room I'm sanding the wood work in then collecting the fallout.

The domestic will get maybe two hours of use every so often but nothing like once a week. Dropping down to 900 W from 1100 probably won't save even a unit/month. This really hasn't been thought through has it?

They ought to be targeting the machines used by the office cleaners who hoover floor after floor of office blocks every morning.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And the lighting in those blocks which appears to be on 24/7

Reply to
Huge

You're right. It would be. Which is why nobody's suggesting that.

Reply to
Adrian

So you're saying it'll still be perfectly within the law to buy a 1400w vac from a shop?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

And break down more often, costing more to repair...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The Chinese whispers are working well today...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

See if you can spot the difference between the two...

Reply to
Adrian

But it will be a criminal offence to *sell* one. The EU Regulations on vacs apply the "market surveillance provisions" (in Directive

2009/125/EC) which can lead to prosecutions and fines (under The Ecodesign for Energy-Related Products Regulationsin the UK) for manufacturers and suppliers who don't comply with the all the performance/testing/labelling provisions.

On top of that I don't think anyone's yet mentioned all the additional costs of manufacturer's gaving to test their machines and governments having to then procure and test a sample as part of the the "market surveillance checks". All makes it that bit more expensive (=harder) for anyone to come up with a new,better design for a vac and get it to the market: another example of the unintended consequences.

Reply to
Robin

You forget one small detail - it's been a criminal offence to sell an unapproved, untested, un-CE-marked electrical product of any kind anywhere in the EEA (yes, the EEA - not the EU, so non-EU-member countries are affected, too) for the last twenty years.

Reply to
Adrian
[20 lines snipped]

"Which" Magazine doesn't understand anything.

Interesting, thank you.

Reply to
Huge

Really? You astonish me. A while ago I saw one of their comparative camera reviews, and about one camera they had commented: "Takes great pictures". I considered this to be incisive, witty, economical with words, and technically complete. What other information did I need?

Reply to
Tim Streater