So this is a garden shed...

I knew I was missng something in all the discussions about garden sheds, Celotex, distribution units, etc.

Rod Hewitt

PoP

Reply to
PoP

The article says something about such an edifice increasing the value of a house.

But wouldn't it also increase the rateable value?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Rateable Values died years ago for everything except water rates - and never gets revised anyway.

If you're referring to Council Tax banding, it *could* affect that - but that only gets revised when the house is sold, so the current owner won't have to pay more council tax as a result of installing his "shed".

Roger

Reply to
Roger Mills

If it was an off-the shelf shed, I have my doubts how warm and dry it can economically be kept. All the expensive stuff could end up just rotting away.

I have had similar doubts about many of the more ambitious constructions that the likes of Home Front in the Garden perpetrated.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

As soon as I hit send I realised that some clever clogs would say that. But it's pretty obvious what was meant.

Oh no it doesn't. Ours has been revised and we've been here for more than forty years - when there WAS rateable value.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

According to the Government web site on Council Tax at

the following note applies:

Important note: The banding of a dwelling which has had improvements which increase its value cannot be re banded until it is next sold. If you are considering buying a property which has been extended since 1993, you should be aware that the council tax band can be increased after the sale has taken place.

Maybe your council tax band has been revised for some other reason, not connected to a property improvement?

Roger

Reply to
Roger Mills

Is it really worth the effort of arguing this point?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Probably not, but it's nice to be accurate rather than spreading mis-information - however unintentionally. I assume that you now accept the facts as they are - so that this thread can be allowed to die a dignified death.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Mills

That's assuming that anyone other than you is reading this.

I always did.

It had before now.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yes, it's got boringly out of hand! I wish I hadn't risen to the bait of your erroneous reference to rateable value!

Roger

Reply to
Roger Mills

I know a guy who had a shed very much like that. Loads of hi-tech stuff in there... Unfortunately he split up with his girlfriend, probably due to spending too much time in the shed! The mortgage was in her name because he was self-employed... so he had to move out, leaving her the shed.

Reply to
BillR

he should have kept track (with verifiable audit trail) of anything he spent on paying mortgage, or adding value to the house....... And being self-employed is no reason for it not to be in his name, if he was worried abou the liability of business going under taking the house with it, then he could have gone ltd.

Reply to
David Hemmings