So should I keep my wall's worm at night

Do you leave the heating on or off at night I live in a flat in London. During the night I turn the heating off and then back on around 12:00 Pm. we set it to around 22 we love to sit with short sleeve. It takes the flat two and half hours to get from 17 to 22. A friend told me it will be better to turn it down to 19 at night and not to turn off because the walls are getting could during the night when the heating is off and then it take a lot of time to worm the flat back on. I dint know what about you but I live in London and I remember that 10 years ago it was much colder and then we use to leave the heating on, but now in our days with global worming the outside temperature is 7 degrees during the day. This is not so cold as it use to be 10 years ago. So should I keep my wall's worm at night?

Reply to
Golan

|Do you leave the heating on or off at night |I live in a flat in London. During the night I turn the heating off |and then back on around 12:00 Pm. we set it to around 22 we love to sit |with short sleeve.

What do you mean by 12pm 1200hrs or 0001 hrs?

|It takes the flat two and half hours to get from 17 to 22. |A friend told me it will be better to turn it down to 19 at night and |not to turn off because the walls are getting could during the night |when the heating is off and then it take a lot of time to worm the flat |back on. |I dint know what about you but I live in London and I remember that 10 |years ago it was much colder and then we use to leave the heating on, |but now in our days with global worming the outside temperature is 7 |degrees during the day. This is not so cold as it use to be 10 years |ago. |So should I keep my wall's worm at night?

It all depends on how well insulated your walls are. Modern walls are well insulated old ones are *not*. How old is your flat and have the cavities been filled? Well insulated walls store *lots* of heat so you can rely on them to keep the flat warm overnight, so you do not need to keep the heating on/turned down overnight. Poorly insulated walls less so.

What temperature does the flat fall to when it freezes outside at night?

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

We turn ours off becaue we don't like to breathe in warm air, that's a personal preference.

Perhaps, but it's wasteful of energy (gas or electricity) and more expensive than putting on a jumper.

Ek! I couldn't bear that temperature :-)

It depends on your preferences, how much you care about global warming and how much moiney you want to spend on fuel.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No, take the piperazine and sennapod tablets and shit them away, disgusting little things.

Reply to
Steve Firth

If your walls have worm you have far more serious problems to worry about than leaving the heating on or not.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

There's the problem. Your heating system is atrocious. Maybe also the flat has no insulation anywhere. Once the heating's fixed theres no reason to leave it on overnight. Until then you'll just have to time the CH to come on 2.5hrs before you want it upto temp. Oh, and reduce

22 to 21 or 20. You're probably only wanting 22 because you've sat there for so long in the cool.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Is it possible that he's used to a warmer climate?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Not necessarily. My house takes about 4-5 hours to go from 17 to

22...but conversely it takes all night and most of the following day to drop back from 22 to 17...its a very big screed floor with UFH...and BIG brick chimneys..must be several hundred tons of concrete and masonry inside it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So yours doesnt drop from 22 to 17 each day. If the temp drop you had took 2.5hrs to warm up every morning, there would be a problem in that the heating has to be set to come on 2.5hrs before wanted, resulting in piss poor energy performance. I think thats a problem. I sure wouldnt want this place running like that.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I had cavity wall insulation and double glazing installed this year so only need to have the CH on in really cold weather. The HW/CH timer is set as follows: ON at 6am, OFF at 9am, ON at 5pm, OFF at 10pm. A lot of the time the CH isn't on as the air temperature is above the thermostat setting (20 degrees). Two and half hours to get from 17 to 22 sounds like you have poor insulation and/or a poor CH system. You could take meter readings, run it for a week on 24 hours a day, take meter readings, run it for a week on daytime only, take meter readings, and work out which is cheaper, but outside temperature changes will affect the accuracy of this.

Reply to
Curious

I only have a 15KW boiler for a 6 bedroom house..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Andy Hall typed

Possibly though Mum said it was snowing in Jerusalem this afternoon. Kids were ecstatic cos they might get time off school.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

Hmm.... Still I suppose it is relatively high (800m or so?)

Yes but then they'll have to deal with their mothers ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Andy Hall typed

Indeed.

Yebbut my Mum is their Grandma and that means *fun*...

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

It's always cheaper to turn heating on and off as and when it is or is not wanted

Reply to
normanwisdom

It is possible to construct scenarios where it isn't..see thread about a month ago.

Boilers that are inefficient at peak output being the simplest one.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not necessarily.

Given that the criterion is that the room temperature should be at a certain level between specific times:

In the case of a modern building of low thermal mass and good insulation, it probably is.

In the case of an old building with high thermal mass, the heating may have to be switched on earlier in order to achieve the required temperature at the start of the required time, or overdesigned to produce a faster warm-up. The latter may have a tendency to cause temperature overshoot leading to less comfort and higher energy use.

Temperature set back may well be the most cost effective and least expensive way overall to achieve the required result.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Even so, I don't remember my Israeli friends mentioning snow so I suppose it's fairly unusual? Mind you, most of them are in Tel Aviv :-)

Ah. That's different then ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hall