snow shovel

Ooh - I reckon I'm going to be around your way, week after next. I'm going to Thunder Bay[1] on Friday and the kids are planning to take me to Grand Marais[2] to visit the North House Folk School.

Nick [1]Which I am well aware isn't in northern Minnesota [2]Which I believe is

Reply to
Nick Odell

Aha... yes, Thunder Bay's just across the border; my lad's guest-played for one of their soccer teams a couple of times at tournaments down in Minneapolis. We've met some nice folk from there!

On the Minnesota side, I've not been to Grand Marais, but I did get as far as Two Harbors on that same stretch of lake shore last summer (we had a tournament in Duluth and camped up at TH) which is just a stone's throw away on US scales :-) It's a very pretty part of the world - I'd recommend coming back again when it's warmer!

(I live farther west by the way, just a shade north of Bemidji)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

But what is the *point* of weather like that?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Freeze distillation - eg Applejack?

Reply to
Robin

Keeps you on your toes dunnit?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you have any toes left...!

Reply to
Bob Eager

You mean you dance daintily from snowflake to snowflake?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Interesting looking countryside.

Reply to
grimly4

> TIA

I have a sheet of 6 foot x 4 foot hardboard that I use to clear my front drive. Just push the 4' end into the snow and push it to the side of the drive. Because of the width it clears the drive in no time at all!

Reply to
Ret.

Don't think that would work with proper snow:

Dave Liquorice

Doncaster has!

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Well I had almost been convinced to go plastic until you said this! But you are right, today the snow has turned to ice and I think a metal shovel would be best. I guess, as many of the replies have said, it depends on the type of snow and perhaps you need a different tool for each.

Reply to
Fred

our shovel has a steel edge to the plastic - no problem with chipping.

It cost c£20 a couple of years ago from an agricultural merchants. I'm sure a web search would turn one up.

David

Reply to
David P

Plastic is never as strong as ice but its worked for me (esp. last year)

David

Reply to
David P

Currently one of these is £9.95 at Axminster:

ferretygubbins

... but the rest are 500 quid each? ;)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

It's all lakes and trees and deer around here. The population's pretty sparse - something like 6 million people in an area the size of England, but about half of them are all down around Minneapolis and St. Paul.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

:-) I don't mind it, TBH.. cold is cold - I think once you're in hat and gloves territory it doesn't make much difference how cold it gets outside. Sure, you have to be a bit more sensible about it - dress in layers, keep blankets in the car just in case etc. - but on the whole a cold day here isn't any different to a cold day in the UK.

Plus, it helps when it's that cold for long stretches of time; the body gets used to it somewhat. The downside is that people do start going a bit loopy toward the end of the season as cabin fever sets in ;-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

:-) I don't mind it, TBH.. cold is cold - I think once you're in hat and gloves territory it doesn't make much difference how cold it gets outside. Sure, you have to be a bit more sensible about it - dress in layers, keep blankets in the car just in case etc. - but on the whole a cold day here isn't any different to a cold day in the UK.

Plus, it helps when it's that cold for long stretches of time; the body gets used to it somewhat. The downside is that people do start going a bit loopy toward the end of the season as cabin fever sets in ;-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson