Snapped screwdriver blades

This is driving me mad ive had a few CK VDE sensoplus screwdrivers snap on me recently when tightening up terminals. Why on such expensive drivers should this happen ? Do you guys regrind or replace when such an incident happens,i lauched one into a nearby bush the other day when it snapped on me.

Jon.

Reply to
John Southern

I've just searched for these SensoPlus Drivers on the web to see what they are and they're all made from chrome-vanadium steel. Way to soft for a decent driver. Go for something that is made from Hardened Carbon Steel and make sure it doesn't have any fancy finishing on it that causes it to slip and slide everywhere.

It says on the web pages that they are Ergonomically styled to fit in the palm of your hand. It should also say, Made to be very soft and flimsy so you buy more of them and we don't go out of business.

Draper, Tough-Tools or Stanley are still the only ones who create drivers from proper Hardened Carbon Steel, so throw those ones away, far away, and buy some decent tools that last you years without to much maintenance.

Reply to
BigWallop

The best screwdriver I have, which is hardened, came with the Meccano chiming clock kit. I've been using it for ~30 years, and it's as good as the day it was new. Handle is a very nice grip too. The only thing that's worn on it is the Meccano logo wore off the handle after the first 10 years.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

So what did you expect ? They're only CK, they're cheap disposables.

I haven't broken any of my Wiha screwdrivers (try Axminster), and they have nice handles.

I'd never regrind. I might re-shape or re-forge into a nose hook or something, but I'd not expect to get a usable screwdriver out of it, just by sharpening.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Coincidentally, the worst screwdriver I've ever owned is made by meccano too. I managed to bend the tip. On a nylon screw.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Meccano, the budding mechanical engineers favourite toy and the university graduates' favourite toy also. The new stuff is being made from cheaper materials I've noticed, but everything is now. Used to make the best hardened steel solid wrenches too.

Reply to
BigWallop

Meccano is French owned now, so matters are different. Meccano was very popular in France, so they bought it. Mecanno was made by Hornby who made the toy trains and Dinky toys.

Reply to
IMM

I often re-grind screwdrivers, especially for an odd ball sized screw.

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

Things must have changed, then. I've got a pair of CK side cutters which are yonks old and still sharp.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

The lads at work regrind theres on a Sthil saw ! Not exactly safe working practice. We all have CK sensoplus drivers as thats what the local electricial wholesalers stock and we all snap the tips on flatheads. I have a WIHA driver from Screwfix and is very good quality i may have to buy some more.

Jon.

Reply to
John Southern

So hang on to them - you won't find an equal replacement.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Regrinding is easy and quick if youve got a power tool to do it with. Well, not for Philips :)

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

"Paul Mc Cann" wrote | I often re-grind screwdrivers, especially for an odd ball sized screw.

I suppose if you've got odd-sized balls (or odd screws the size of balls) it must be difficult finding anything to match in the shops.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Bloody hell, I've read all the messages in this thread up to here and find you are all talking about old fashioned screwdrivers.

I've been fitting door handles this week. They come with slotted screws which go straight on the floor -still in their packets, if I can't be asked to take them to a bin.

Anyone want them?

Help yourself.

Brass finished, steel cross-points pick themselves out of the box with a magnetic thingummie that holds the disposable bit in the drill, you don't need to start off the screw with a bradawl and you can use the battery drill one handed to fit them -leaving the other hand free to make sure the handle is plumb and in the right spot.

You screw them up tight and the job's done. With slots, you aught to match the way they look so that the slots all run the same way. No-one ever does that, few ever did.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

You don't orientate the crosses to all be the same? What shoddy workmanship.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I do and always have done. On a Victorian house like mine - and on any other than new - I'd say exposed crosspoint screws look positively cheap.

Slotted brass screws with the slots lined up look the business.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Morgan cars have the slots on the door hinges running up/down so water runs away and does not corrode the screw or around it.

Reply to
IMM

In my BCO days we had a builder who did a very fair job. One day he came into the office, almost in tears, because a customer was refusing to pay and had sent him 18 pages of snagging. One of the items was that the screw slots in the door hinges were not all aligned. The other items were equally serious!

There are some customers from hell out there as well as builders from hell.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Pub and church work !

But do you align them vertically or horizontally.

I had thought I was anal about this 'till I read about people who strive to get their countersink just the precise depth so that the screwhead neither bruises the wood nor projects minutely

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

He he, I bet the installers of the DG that I produced a similar length, and could be called petty, snagging list for didn't burst into tears. If they had got the big things right, admitted damage etc I wouldn't have gone through each of 11 windows and doors with a fine tooth comb picking up anything and everything mostly missing cover caps or dislodged sealing strip but also no sealing under the cills or to the vertical damp proof course (tile hung walls) etc

Reply to
Dave Liquorice