smoothing weathered concrete

The concrete path at the front of my house is weathered, so the surface is very rough from the pebbles etc. - makes it painful to walk on without shoes, and milkbottles tend to fall over.

Is there anything I can lay on the surface to smooth it off - I would imagine that just putting a layer of fine cement down would just break up quickly, and adhesion would be a problem. Doing it properly - i.e. breaking up and re-pouring would be way more trouble than it's worth

Any suggestions..?

Reply to
Mike Harrison

rough from the

fall over.

just putting a

it's worth

Decking? Would an inch or two of concrete be out of place?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

rough from the

fall over.

just putting a

problem.

it's worth

A concrete overcoat (?) of an inch or two may be viable, but how do you get it to bond well and not crack - might a layer of reinforcing mesh do the trick ?

Reply to
Mike Harrison

is very rough from the

tend to fall over.

imagine that just putting a

trouble than it's worth

Wear shoes and buy one of those mini crate things for the milk bottles. Otherwise I reckon it needs a proper job. Lay some slabs on a mortar bed perhaps?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

is very rough from the

tend to fall over.

imagine that just putting a > layer of fine cement down would just break up quickly, and adhesion would be a problem. > Doing it properly - i.e. breaking up and re-pouring would be way more trouble than it's worth >

There are products intended for repairing floors in industrial environments that need to be laid in thin layes and take load a short time after laying.

Most are based on a fine agregate (sand) bonded with a polyester or epoxy resin, and some will even bond to moist surfaces - price tends to be rather high though. Polyester resin and sand are both available relatively cheaply so maybe a few DIY experiments would be in order.

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Pressure wash the path. Clean with brick acid and wash again. Prime with PVA/water 1:4, and while the PVA is still wet apply a cement/sharp sand 1:4 coating made with 1:4 PVA/water as the gauging liquid. An inch should be OK. Do not over trowel. Do not use mesh, wire, etc. If your path has cracks in it, it is very likely that the skim will crack too, but it should adhere strongly!

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built