Smoothing rough ceiling

I'm just overhauling the old utility room in our house, and this has the only non artex'd ceiling in the house. It looks like flat plaster. But it is not very smooth, with various dips and bumps in it. I was going to try the Polycell Smoothwall stuff, but reading bits n bobs here it looks like the stuff is not good on walls, let alone on the ceiling!

I don't want to get a plasterer in just for this little room, in which case what are my alternatives? Artex? (yuk) DIY plastering? (no prior experience!) Filling and sanding (laborious?)

Painters10

Reply to
painters10

Just fir a suspended ceiling with inbuilt downlighters about 3" from the existing

Reply to
RW