Smooth Wall? (Bathroom)

Hi, I am re painting the bathroom wall after there were some tiles on it - i have removed the tiles and have removed some of the paint that was underneath - the problem is the wall isnt all that smooth as there is about 4 layers of paint - in some parts i have got all the layers off but in other parts only 1 or 2 - whats the best way to get the wall totally smooth? obviously i will sand it down first but i still get the feeling it will be a bit weird...

is there anyway to get it totally flat - perhaps plaster it all (dont really know how to do that tho!)

I have read up on plastering and dry wall - any sites which explain them better and what stuff you need to do it etc?

Thanks

Reply to
mo

There's probably nowhere better than the archives of this newsgroup to explain about plastering (via google); it's quite tricky to get right and if you've never done it before I think you'll find it very tough to get a really flat smooth wall (I've been trying for years without real success!).

My suggestion would be, once you've filled in the holes and cracks with plaster/polyfilla/polyskim or whatever, you get a thick grade lining paper from B&Q and put that up on the affected walls. Maybe even two layers? Then emulsion that as normal.

David

Reply to
Lobster

sand it scrape paint off lining paper it plaster skim it use paint with some body to it a lot of fiddling with polyfilla

Any of those.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

lining paper sounds interesting (and easy!) have any more info on it?

Reply to
mo

Make sure the wall is clean of soap or grease. Mix up some filler with powder and water/PVA (5:1 water:PVA) to a sloppy mix. Use a filling knife, or if appropriate a steel float, to swish the filler over the surface. N.B. you don't want to do too much sanding, so don't put it on thick! When it is completely dry, lightly sand with a sanding block and 80 grit aluminium oxide paper until smooth. Paint.

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

It is just plain white wall paper. Use it horizontally for backing patterned paper. For what you want you could hang it vertically the same way that you do ordinary wall paper.

Use a strong/waterproof? paste. The decorator's shop will tell you all the bumf.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

bathroom... wet... paper. maybe best choose another option.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton