Smoking living Fire

I'v been told the cause for my open coal fire filling my room with skoke is that the throat is narrow can anyone explain what this means Alex

Check out the Curing Chimney Problems guide on the following site:
http://www.solidfuel.co.uk/frame/main.html
Andy
alex wrote:

The throat is the gap between the top of the fireback and the back of the lintel.
I think it's much more likely that you have some sort of restriction in the flue. Seek advice from a chimney sweep, unless that's who told you it was the throat.
Nick
alex wrote:

There are several reason why a fire might not draw. 1) chimney blocked. 2) chimney ha insufficient height. 3) the room is too well draught-proofed.
A chimney which does not draw is a potential killer.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk